Multiple injured chickens, unknown predator

SpaceyTracy

Chirping
May 10, 2021
Vermont
Hi, I've been free-ranging my 6 year-old chickens during the day as I try to figure out a way to make them some kind of secure, more limited ranging yard. Too late. Yesterday my son was out mowing and discovered multiple piles of feathers and no chickens. Eventually 5 out of the 6 staggered individually out of the woods. It took a while to realize that they weren't just exhausted and in mental shock but that all had big wounds that were hidden by their feathers. They have been healthy up until now, and this is my first experience with chickens, so I'm just googling things and trying to figure things out as I go along. We made up some saline solution and tried to clean the wounds, I got some antiseptic spray at a farm store, and we tried to put antibiotic ointment on the wounds, though it didn't really stick. I made 4 isolation bays--2 dog crates and 2 makeshift spaces--in our mudroom and brought the liveliest bird back out to the coop.The 4 were just standing around like zombies, not eating or drinking, and this am it didn't look like they had moved from where they were the night before. But they were still alive. My questions are: the healthiest chicken is walking around in the run (I won't let her out), but looking rather frantic about the absence of her flock mates. Should I bring her in with the others? Should I bring one chicken out to be with her and keep her company, in some kind of segregated pen setup? It gets down to the 40s at night here in Vermont. I should say that the others are mostly still just standing still, though I have gotten them to drink electrolyte water from a spoon and eat a few grains of cracked corn, and they do "talk" to me or each other a bit. I have read lots of stuff about what to do when you have one injured chicken, but haven't come across anything that addresses the situation of your entire flock being hurt.

Also, I've read about how to identify what predator might have attacked a flock, but a lot of what I'm reading assumes that the chickens are in a coop or run so the predator can't get at the whole bird, for example. Not the case here. I'm thinking it was either a fox, a coyote or a dog. But maybe a weasel? Which leads to another question-- if it was a dog (and there are a lot of dogs that walk on our road, though most are leashed), should I be treating with antibiotics? And since I don't know, should I be treating with antibiotics just in case? Wait and see? It would be nice to know what kind of predator proofing to focus on in the future, though I realize all the above animals live around here and any of them could get my ladies. (Also bears, and raccoons....)

Thank you! From this worried chicken mama and her now mostly tail-less ladies.

Hi, I've been free-ranging my 6 year-old chickens during the day as I try to figure out a way to make them some kind of secure, more limited ranging yard. Too late. Yesterday my son was out mowing and discovered multiple piles of feathers and no chickens. Eventually 5 out of the 6 staggered individually out of the woods. It took a while to realize that they weren't just exhausted and in mental shock but that all had big wounds that were hidden by their feathers. They have been healthy up until now, and this is my first experience with chickens, so I'm just googling things and trying to figure things out as I go along. We made up some saline solution and tried to clean the wounds, I got some antiseptic spray at a farm store, and we tried to put antibiotic ointment on the wounds, though it didn't really stick. I made 4 isolation bays--2 dog crates and 2 makeshift spaces--in our mudroom and brought the liveliest bird back out to the coop.The 4 were just standing around like zombies, not eating or drinking, and this am it didn't look like they had moved from where they were the night before. But they were still alive. My questions are: the healthiest chicken is walking around in the run (I won't let her out), but looking rather frantic about the absence of her flock mates. Should I bring her in with the others? Should I bring one chicken out to be with her and keep her company, in some kind of segregated pen setup? It gets down to the 40s at night here in Vermont. I should say that the others are mostly still just standing still, though I have gotten them to drink electrolyte water from a spoon and eat a few grains of cracked corn, and they do "talk" to me or each other a bit. I have read lots of stuff about what to do when you have one injured chicken, but haven't come across anything that addresses the situation of your entire flock being hurt.

Also, I've read about how to identify what predator might have attacked a flock, but a lot of what I'm reading assumes that the chickens are in a coop or run so the predator can't get at the whole bird, for example. Not the case here. I'm thinking it was either a fox, a coyote or a dog. But maybe a weasel? Which leads to another question-- if it was a dog (and there are a lot of dogs that walk on our road, though most are leashed), should I be treating with antibiotics? And since I don't know, should I be treating with antibiotics just in case? Wait and see? It would be nice to know what kind of predator proofing to focus on in the future, though I realize all the above animals live around here and any of them could get my ladies. (Also bears, and raccoons....)

Thank you! From this worried chicken mama and her now mostly tail-less ladies.
Sorry, new to this forum and didn't realize I hadn't successfully posted this before. It's now 2 days later. I did a tele vet consult and sewed up 3 wounds on 2 chickens. They are healing well. In retrospect I wish I did one other wound--it's still open and gaping. I wonder if it's too late at this point. But mainly what I'm trying to figure out is this: are they better off together or apart? They all REALLY seem to want to be with each other. When the healthiest one in the run saw another having a supervised outing she frantically tried to dig her way out. But when she's in the "hospital" she's too antsy because she's basically healthy. When I let one out of a pen to give medicine etc. she just wants to visit her flock mates. What to do?! Ironically the less severely injured (unsutured) birds now have the most visible wounds.

All 5 injured, one gone compleetly, multiple piles of feathers, sounds like dog to me.
I have herd of fox and coyote killing alot of chickens, but from my own experience they take one at a time.
I would keep the wounds moist with something sticky, like bagbalm, triple antibiotic or Corona to aid healing. It also keeps flys off .
Your lone girl will be alright, and as soon as one of your injured girls is recovered she can join lone chicken.
Wounds must be covered by feathers so they are not picked at by the other chickens. Time for a secure run.
Good luck!

Unfortunately with free ranging, these are these risks. As mentioned, it may be time for a secure run for them. One of my biggest tips - get a game camera and point it at your enclosure so you know what you're dealing with. Best of luck and so sorry this happened.

Yes, good idea! We have a game camera, didn't work last time I set it up, so hopefully I can figure out what's wrong with it. I found some blue Chicken Healer ointment to try to keep them from pecking at each other during supervised outings. They also peck at themselves. Do healing wounds itch chickens the way they do humans?

:welcome :frow I've had issues mainly with fox, coyotes and bobcat but others such as owls and hawks, possum. I have seen coons on my cameras but they haven't gotten to my birds. I do have pens covered with good heavy duty netting for the aerial predators, electric wires around my coops and pens and concrete under the gates, all due to losses from predators in the past. When you free range your birds will be discovered eventually. For several years I free ranged with no issues but once my birds were discovered the issues started, so it was now plan B. I have several game cameras on my property and was amazed at the predators that roam here especially at night. I love my cameras. Nothing has gotten past the electric wires. I have seen predators close to the wires but they don't touch them. I have heard critters I'm sure that tested the wires but once they do they don't do it again.
I think this was either a coyote or a fox but could have been a bobcat. I have seen them all on my game cameras. Once it connected with the hot wires it aborted the dig. Good luck...
IMG_20190101_101718.jpg

A big bobcat outside my chick/grow-out coop not too long ago.
DSCF0002112 09Rev.jpg

A coon.
DSCF0002317T 03.jpg

The date and time are wrong on this picture.
DSCF0001314 (2) 01.jpg

:welcome :frow I've had issues mainly with fox, coyotes and bobcat but others such as owls and hawks, possum. I have seen coons on my cameras but they haven't gotten to my birds. I do have pens covered with good heavy duty netting for the aerial predators, electric wires around my coops and pens and concrete under the gates, all due to losses from predators in the past. When you free range your birds will be discovered eventually. For several years I free ranged with no issues but once my birds were discovered the issues started, so it was now plan B. I have several game cameras on my property and was amazed at the predators that roam here especially at night. I love my cameras. Nothing has gotten past the electric wires. I have seen predators close to the wires but they don't touch them. I have heard critters I'm sure that tested the wires but once they do they don't do it again.
I think this was either a coyote or a fox but could have been a bobcat. I have seen them all on my game cameras. Once it connected with the hot wires it aborted the dig. Good luck...
Glad to be here! My game camera just needed a new SD card, going up today. I saw a fox crossing the driveway this am.... I'm leaning towards enclosing part of the yard with a permanent electric fence. How many strands do you have on yours?

Sorry, new to this forum and didn't realize I hadn't successfully posted this before. It's now 2 days later. I did a tele vet consult and sewed up 3 wounds on 2 chickens. They are healing well. In retrospect I wish I did one other wound--it's still open and gaping. I wonder if it's too late at this point. But mainly what I'm trying to figure out is this: are they better off together or apart? They all REALLY seem to want to be with each other. When the healthiest one in the run saw another having a supervised outing she frantically tried to dig her way out. But when she's in the "hospital" she's too antsy because she's basically healthy. When I let one out of a pen to give medicine etc. she just wants to visit her flock mates. What to do?! Ironically the less severely injured (unsutured) birds now have the most visible wounds.
Keep the entire flock together whenever possible as separation is extremely stressful.

Glad to be here! My game camera just needed a new SD card, going up today. I saw a fox crossing the driveway this am.... I'm leaning towards enclosing part of the yard with a permanent electric fence. How many strands do you have on yours?
I have several coops and pens. Once the predators discover the electric wires they don't mess with them. I think the adult predators actually teach their young that a chicken isn't worth getting zapped for. I use wires but you can get electric fencing. You have to keep weeds down around the fencing because they will significantly impede the voltage output. I do keep it weed free under my wires. I would get a fence charger of around at least 1 joule. That will put out enough voltage to discourage most predators. Also a good ground rod. I have my ground rod under a roof drip line so when it rains the water will run off there and keep the ground more moist for a better ground. Some people bait their wires initially. I have never baited my wires, but especially in the spring I have heard critters come in contact with the wires and once is enough. My wires may not be pretty but they work. I see a lot of predators on my game cameras especially at night. Good luck...
20210115_095548.jpg

This was recently. The date and time is wrong on the camera.
DSCF0001314 (2) 02.jpg

Back
Top Bottom