Multiple injured quail . . . antibiotics?

For your predator problem, havaheart sells humane traps that catch cats, possums, squirrels, rats, and skunks. If you think maybe it's a raccoon problem you'll need to go a size up. I have several layers of batting on the top of my cage to help with bonking. It seems to work so far.

I'm certain people will disagree with me but if you catch a cat and it has no collar, I'd take it to a no kill shelter. Owners are supposed to look out for their animals. If they let their cats roam free and terrorise your animals with no ID then clearly it's not your problem. One of my good friends works at a full time cat rescue and rehab and she is 100% against cats being outdoors unless they are a designated barn cat.

Ok, there's no coming back from it though? It's just that every bird I have culled so far has had some obvious symptoms.
I would think that a beak injury is milder than the wing injury. The bird with the beak injury is puffed up, lethargic, and droopy whereas the bird with the wing injury acts like I'm bringing mealworm treats or tries to escape when I open the door. It puts up a fight when I pick it up (my birds don't like to be handled), is curiously watching the environment, and paces the animal carrier it is temporarily inside.
If the beak is broken past it's nares, I would cull that one too! It well not grow back.
2316335-c4d9b9fa65c2b229aef523b2e4a2508a.jpg

I've had birds that got their beaks peaked at when chicks...missing the upper beak back to the nares but no further...they survived, even thrived but they were always by themselves from that time on. The very end will grow back but if damage is too far back, it will not grow back.

It isn't broken past the nares, I think that once it heals the bird will only have to deal with a slightly crooked beak. I know that if the beak falls off it will never regrow but the broken beak will eventually heal over albeit in a slightly weird position, right? The cracks will heal over a bit so the beak isn't hanging by the middle part but is better supported?

Also, I use 1/4" and 1/2" hardware cloth (1/4" on top and 1/2" keeps things from digging in on the bottom). I don't think I've had problems with predators reaching in per say (although maybe a cat can sort of grab something through mesh with its claws). I have problems with the birds getting spooked by something and flushing into the sides which are covered in mesh. I'm going to be making some improvements to try and fix this tomorrow.

You may check out the solar powered predator lights if this is happening mostly at night. I have one on each side of the yard they work well for the last 5 years.
sorry about the injuries. I had a chicken with a beak injury the out come was not good he basically dehydrated on my and had to do the right thing.

Also, does anyone have pictures of bumblefoot on quail? In researching how to fix bumblefoot, I've noticed that my quail's case seems much better than most pictures/videos. So I'm wondering if I'm overreacting and possibly being a little too aggressive in the way I will treat it (when I get epsom salt tomorrow) or I just caught it early. Maybe I can just soak and pull it out at this point rather than cutting? Something is definitely stuck in both feet though.

Also, from what I understand, outdoor cats are not accepted by my local shelters due to COVID unless they are sick, injured, or in immediate danger . . . so not sure what to do there. I will be modifying the aviary to try to stop the injuries. I'm going to board at least 18" of the bottom of the aviary (so they can't see anything scary and maybe feel a bit more secure), remove the small house in the middle, and use banana leaves hanging off the walls/ from the roof to add more cover. I've been planning to do this for at least a week but I've been struggling to find time. Hopefully, I can rope some family members into helping and get all of it done tomorrow.

I have a quail who cracked her beak like that. It too a long time but the cracks healed, and the quail ended up with only a slightly crooked beak. I didn't do very much for this quails beak because she had a far worse leg injury that I was treating with vetericyn. That quail is four years old now and she still has a limp and a slightly crooked beak, but she is pretty happy.

Back
Top Bottom