Multiple Males Fertility Question...

FreedomFarm13

Crowing
9 Years
Mar 20, 2015
Arkansas
Hi! Everything I've read says that you're supposed to wait two weeks after separating out breeders to start collecting eggs because that's how long it takes to be sure who the father would be of any fertile ones you hatch. However, I recently read somewhere on here (can't remember where now) that there can also be a bit of a "first one in, last one out" kind of situation where the first male to mate with a hen could still be the father after a couple weeks because the other roo's "stuff" was on top of it? This sounds totally bogus to me, but is there a possibility it's true? Just curious.

Last edited:
I have Googled it, Mississippi State University says a hen depending on bird species can be fertile up to 4 weeks after removing a rooster.
I would keep all roosters away from hens if I wanted to be sure. GC

Last edited:
I have Googled it, Mississippi State University says a hen depending on bird species can be fertile up to 4 weeks.

Usually 21 days is the number given but it can definitely be longer. I know someone whose rooster was killed and a hen hid a nest and appeared with chicks almost seven weeks later. Allowing 21 days (three weeks) for the eggs to hatch, she laid her last fertile egg over the three week period, closer to four weeks. She had 11 babies.

This reminds me I've got to get the batchelor pad slash breeder pen up and running soon...put the two boys in there until breeding season. Think it will have to wait for a warm day. Certain the wee coop that's currently off it's stand is frozen solid to the ground....

I have Googled it, Mississippi State University says a hen depending on bird species can be fertile up to 4 weeks after removing a rooster.

After mating with a rooster, a hen can lay fertile eggs for up to 3 weeks, sometimes more and sometimes less. To be safe, give them around a month to make sure you have the right father.

Longer the better! A friend of mine separated her BLRW hens from the "barnyard", being told 2wks, put with her BLRW cock. Eggs were then collected & incubated, after hatching I get them to raise until 8wks. Ended up with BLRW but also mixes of Silkies, EE & maybe a Leghorn, next time separating for at least a month.

I seen a bullseye 6wks after my ee roo hopped a garden fence barrier to get to my silkie. I personally would never put a new roo in sooner than a month.

Ok, sounds like the general consensus is a month, so that's what I'll do. I was probably going to wait at least 3 weeks anyway, so that's not too bad. I just wanted to make sure, especially since mine are Ameraucanas and people can get a bit testy about their Ameraucanas' "purity", lol. I've already seen my guy mating with his girls, though, so he'll have plenty of time to practice before I start collecting eggs to hatch! Thanks for all the info, everyone!! I learn something new every day!

Back
Top Bottom