Multiple new chicken owner random questions that's happening in my flock.

perke

In the Brooder
May 15, 2020
Ok. So, a week ago we had a terrible rain. My coop area got flooded so we had to move the chicks until the flooding went down. Now that everything is back to normal almost my entire flock is sneezing, has runny noses, some of them are making gurgling noises, a couple of them have swollen right eyes, and some of them had bubbles coming out of their eye. As of right now I have them on vetrx and microbial silver in their water dishes. Some seem to be improving, some not. I also have some chicks that are starting to sneeze late in the game. Ugh. Next. I have a bird that got attacked by a hawk and a dog in the same day and time. Poor thing. The hawk grabbed her, she somehow got away and fell/flew into the neighbors yard where the neighbors beagle got her. She has a huge gash in her side, we put cleaned it, put vertericyn on it, and wrapped it for three days. When we took the bandage off after three days it smelled atrocious. so, we rewashed it and are letting it air dry. Now, this chicken we've had for a little over a month and she hasn't laid an egg at all. She's a polish and we figured they lied about her age and she was never going to lay eggs. Which was fine because she's freaking awesome! But, after all this happened, sitting in her "chick hospital" she laid an egg!?!?! We cracked open the egg and it looked fine but smelled disgustingly terrible. Lastly, I think... I have two birds that don't seem healthy to me. On top of everything that's going on. One is a polish and I swear she doesn't have a fully developed beak but her nose kept running and she just smells bad. Not like, need a bath bad. Or sour crop bad. Like, sick bad. My other one is a cream legbar and the bottom of her eyes just seem puffy and sluggish. Not "hawk" alert like the other chickens and she also just smells sick bad. Both of them act normal but they just seem off. And conversation or tips or thoughts on any of this would be appreciated. =) I'll try and go get some pictures of everything after I post this to try and show more of what I'm talking about. Thank you!

So, a week ago we had a terrible rain. My coop area got flooded so we had to move the chicks until the flooding went down. Now that everything is back to normal almost my entire flock is sneezing, has runny noses, some of them are making gurgling noises, a couple of them have swollen right eyes, and some of them had bubbles coming out of their eye. As of right now I have them on vetrx and microbial silver in their water dishes. Some seem to be improving, some not. I also have some chicks that are starting to sneeze late in the game.

I'm not an expert, but I would hope that more time and enough fresh air will clear them up.
--They could be reacting to something (like mold) that happened while the coop was wet

--They could be reacting to germs they already had, and the stress of moving back and forth caused them to actually get sick (I think there are several diseases that a chicken can have and still seem fine, but when they get stressed they then get sick from the disease that was there all the time.)

Next. I have a bird that got attacked by a hawk and a dog in the same day and time. Poor thing. The hawk grabbed her, she somehow got away and fell/flew into the neighbors yard where the neighbors beagle got her. She has a huge gash in her side, we put cleaned it, put vertericyn on it, and wrapped it for three days. When we took the bandage off after three days it smelled atrocious. so, we rewashed it and are letting it air dry.

Hopefully she will heal faster now! It can be hard to tell what's best for wounds, because it needs to be clean, and the other chickens need to not pick it, but fresh air is also good.

Now, this chicken we've had for a little over a month and she hasn't laid an egg at all. She's a polish and we figured they lied about her age and she was never going to lay eggs. Which was fine because she's freaking awesome! But, after all this happened, sitting in her "chick hospital" she laid an egg!?!?! We cracked open the egg and it looked fine but smelled disgustingly terrible.

If it's just one egg, I wouldn't worry. It's pretty common to get a weird egg of one kind or another and then have the chicken go on to lay normal eggs. If she lays more like that, then maybe it's caused by something she ate (I have read that some foods can change the flavor of the eggs.)

Lastly, I think... I have two birds that don't seem healthy to me. On top of everything that's going on. One is a polish and I swear she doesn't have a fully developed beak but her nose kept running and she just smells bad. Not like, need a bath bad. Or sour crop bad. Like, sick bad. My other one is a cream legbar and the bottom of her eyes just seem puffy and sluggish. Not "hawk" alert like the other chickens and she also just smells sick bad. Both of them act normal but they just seem off.

I'm not sure about those.
When a chicken is just "off," it can be really hard to figure out what's wrong.

A few things to check if you can:
--crops should be empty in the morning, have food in them most of the day, and be full at
bedtime
--are their droppings normal? ("Normal" has a wide range, but sometimes it will be obvious if something is really different.)

Do they all have access to a dust bath? (I know that's hard when everything's wet.)
There's a chance the stinky one just needs a chance to clean herself up, after getting into something smelly. (Not too likely, given what you said, but I'm just throwing out ideas here.)

I'll try and go get some pictures of everything after I post this to try and show more of what I'm talking about.

Pictures are a good idea :)

Here's some pictures of one of my girls that smells different.

Attachments

• IMG_20201120_124228.jpg
    IMG_20201120_124228.jpg
    405 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_20201120_124229.jpg
    IMG_20201120_124229.jpg
    382.8 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_20201120_124247.jpg
    IMG_20201120_124247.jpg
    446.9 KB · Views: 2

Back
Top Bottom