Murder on Music Row

firefly76

Chirping
5 Years
Apr 16, 2014
Well today was a sad day, went to let my girls and rooster out to roam for the day only to find all ten dead in their coop... They were just 2 months old... Looks like it must have been weasels as they are all missing there heads and no obvious damage to the coop. All my girls were named after musicians, had the 5 spice girls, Madonna, Ciera, Vera & Wang(they were white lol) and Rooster Steve. My children, husband and I had spent a lot of time holding and just beig around them so they were pretty good with humans... They will be truly missed!
But now we have to secure our coop and order some more birds.
Is it too late to start over with day olds? Due to winter and such? (I live in southern Ontario Canada)

It's not too late to get chicks, BUT you must fix your coop problems first!! Safe from predators is the responsibility you have to your chicks. Many of us have had disasters; try to move on and make things better. I've done things that were deeply regretted later, it's about the learning curve. Your next chicks will also be loved, and have a better chance to do well. So sorry, Mary

So sorry for your loss! Because our coop was not built exactly as specified, we have been working on it each weekend. Today (95 degrees in TX): Tires were too small, installed larger ones, lifting and exposing poorly built floor (4x4 cattle panel), so we covered that with the 1/2" x 1/2" hard cloth to keep all critters out. Still need to build self locking pop door and finish making floor of coop solid wood under the sliding tray. Read so many stories of tragedies, I would be devastated if something happened to ours, and we've only had them for 1 month...good luck in future!

Back
Top Bottom