Murdered bird lives on

mochicken

Songster
8 Years
Apr 27, 2011
NW Missouri
I posted earlier this week about my pair of silkies that I got one day and found dead the next, there was a white hen and a black and gray rooster. I got them in their new pen and my wife didnt get the door locked and the raccoons killed them the same night we got them.

I got an egg out of the nest the night they were killed and I also found one next to my dead hen that she was due to lay the next day, it was laying next to her so I decided to take my chances and take it and the other egg to the incubator to see if I could at least salvage the eggs.

I checked them tonight and ONE IS FERTILE
big_smile.png
, the other one looks like a yolker but I will give it a couple days to make sure, I already had some eggs in the incubator and I added the eggs when the others had been in 10 days so it will complicate things in a few days but it will all be worth it to make sure their baby or babies live on.

I am considering leaving one "shelf" part of my egg turner on at day 18 of the other eggs and take all the other shelf parts off and lay the hatching eggs on the floor like I would anyway. This way I can keep with the "lockdown" days and also continue to turn the silkie egg or eggs without opening the incubator. I will figure it out but I am so happy right now.

I looked at the other egg again and it could possibly be showing a little vein or two but only time will tell, I'll give it till day 7 and throw it out if it's still looking yolky

Wow, this is so much like the story of Daisy, who was killed by a dog. She left a fertile egg which hatched into a big proud rooster. Have a search on this section. Good luck and keep us posted!

Back
Top Bottom