Murray Mcmurray Hatchery do they sell good birds?

ChickenKid11

Chirping
8 Years
Aug 10, 2011
I have been looking at Murray Mcmurray for a long time now but the real question is "Do they sell good birds?" Any feed back is appreciated!

Define "good"

If by healthy, they're as healthy as any big hatchery chicken would turn out to be, but by the standard for the breed - Most of the time, no. Your chickens won't turn out to look like their illustrations (but the illustrations show would they would look like if they weren't from a hatchery) The chicks from there have been bred for egg laying, so most won't be as big, fluffy, or well colored/patterned as should be by the Standard of Perfection.

But, as simple pets, they're great, however I have indeed come across several birds from them with issues. (eggbound hens, deformed backs, crooked toes) however if it happened too often, McMurray wouldn't last as long as a business as it has been.
wink.png

Bantam Rhode Island Red hen from McMurray. She is much darker than this picture makes her look.

80743_chocolatemcmurray2011.jpg

Golden Sebright

80743_sebright6-8-2011.jpg

80743_goldensebrightrooster.jpg

Leghorn roo and bantam rir.

80743_chocolateleghorn.jpg

RIR rooster with my half boer half mini mancha goat.

80743_rhodeislandredandgoat.jpg

Getting around 43 chicks from McMurrays this april, first time ordering from them so I can't say if there good or not. I hear they chicks are always healthy when you get them.

Last edited:
I've never ordered from Murray McMurray but that company is favored by Martha Stewart. She gets her chicks from Murray McMurray and she has a really significant number of chickens of all sorts of breeds.

Just thought I'd throw that out - I am not a Martha Stewart fan but I did watch the show where she featured chickens (and several BYC members were invited to the show taping, as was I, but I could not attend). That may sound like I'm a fan, but I was only interested as a home chicken keeper.

Quote:
its like a perfecy picture though...

But doesn't it show they breed aggressive EE's, making them not have the best stock, at least, in Easter Eggers?
wink.png

Quote:
its like a perfecy picture though...

But doesn't it show they breed aggressive EE's, making them not have the best stock, at least, in Easter Eggers?
wink.png

okay thank you
thumbsup.gif
i replaced it with something more appropiate

Back
Top Bottom