Murry McMurray Silver Laced Wyndotts

I had to take screen shots so not great but you can get an idea..
20180121_232121.jpg
20180121_232100.jpg
20180121_232148.jpg

In June 2016 we ordered 10 silver & 10 gold from McM. All arrived healthy and I had no problems. This was a straight run and we got 9 pullets & 11 cockerels from the 20 + the freebie was a cockerel (of course). We got a straight run so we could put some in the freezer - which we did. One gold male had a terrible defective feathering problem, but was healthy and happy in every other way. Several of the gold cockerels were human aggressive before 6 months old, the silvers not so much, we kept one silver and within 30 days of becoming the only male, he became human aggressive, but manageable. The pullets produced really well their first year - starting in December at not quite 6 months of age. One was killed by neighbor dogs, leaving 5 golds and 3 silvers & the silver roo. 2 golds went broody & we let them hatch a clutch. Both good mamas. 1 silver died a couple of weeks ago, drowned in the horse water trough. I weighed her & with wet feathers she was still only 5 lbs. The quality of feathers is better on the golds - the silvers I got don't have real sharp edging/lacing, but I don't show, so I don't really mind. Some are flighty and some are friendly, but I'm not raising them for pets. They free-range well, and come when called. The 2016 hens all went into hard molt in Dec & quit laying completely. All 8 of them and it's been almost 2 months. The new pullets from the 2017 clutches started laying in January this year. Hope this helps. These were my first chickens in my whole life, and I feel pretty darn successful, and I would deal with McM again.

In June 2016 we ordered 10 silver & 10 gold from McM. All arrived healthy and I had no problems. This was a straight run and we got 9 pullets & 11 cockerels from the 20 + the freebie was a cockerel (of course). We got a straight run so we could put some in the freezer - which we did. One gold male had a terrible defective feathering problem, but was healthy and happy in every other way. Several of the gold cockerels were human aggressive before 6 months old, the silvers not so much, we kept one silver and within 30 days of becoming the only male, he became human aggressive, but manageable. The pullets produced really well their first year - starting in December at not quite 6 months of age. One was killed by neighbor dogs, leaving 5 golds and 3 silvers & the silver roo. 2 golds went broody & we let them hatch a clutch. Both good mamas. 1 silver died a couple of weeks ago, drowned in the horse water trough. I weighed her & with wet feathers she was still only 5 lbs. The quality of feathers is better on the golds - the silvers I got don't have real sharp edging/lacing, but I don't show, so I don't really mind. Some are flighty and some are friendly, but I'm not raising them for pets. They free-range well, and come when called. The 2016 hens all went into hard molt in Dec & quit laying completely. All 8 of them and it's been almost 2 months. The new pullets from the 2017 clutches started laying in January this year. Hope this helps. These were my first chickens in my whole life, and I feel pretty darn successful, and I would deal with McM again.
This wad extremely helpful, thank you!!

I got my SLW (3) at Tractor Supply in mid August along with a Red Sex Link.
They look very nice to me but I'm not trying to show or breed them.
The Sex Link has started laying and the SLW haven't yet.
They're all 21 weeks old.
View attachment 1245032
It looks like your cockerel has a pea comb and wyandottes are supposed to have a rose comb.

Last edited:
He’s adorable :love You’re so lucky that you can have cockerels/roosters where you live.

Thank you!
Hector is so mellow too. I took him in from a friend who lives in the city limits and couldn’t keep him.
He was raised around her older hens who taught him to behave himself lol!
He crowed a lot when we first got him but it wasn’t too bad. He was by himself in our backyard for at least two months. He would follow me around to see if I had treats. I’d sit out there and talk to him. He won’t let me pick him up or touch him.
He also loved to come up to the sliding door and watch us and the tv :lol:
He was SO happy when the girls came to live here. :wee:love:ya:yesss:

They didn’t want anything to do with his dancing and such at first but Feisty, the sex link, has matured faster and started laying now so she lets him breed her.
Interestingly, he barely crows anymore. Only occasionally.
I guess he’s content with life now that he’s not so lonely.

Back
Top Bottom