Murry McMurray Silver Laced Wyndotts

Covingtonjt

In the Brooder
Jan 3, 2018
Amherst, VA
Anyone ever buy silver laced wyandotte from McMurray? Have pictures of adult birds? I have my feelers out for Silver Laced Wyndotts and I have made several post here about finding breeders. Unfortunately most of them want 30+bucks per chick. We want 25 birds and cannot afford to pay 30 dollars a chick.

Anyone ever buy silver laced wyandotte from McMurray? Have pictures of adult birds? I have my feelers out for Silver Laced Wyndotts and I have made several post here about finding breeders. Unfortunately most of them want 30+bucks per chick. We want 25 birds and cannot afford to pay 30 dollars a chick.
No I never have ordered from them . I got mine from the local Farmers CO-OP $3.00 a chick for pullets . TSC has them too. Lots of people order McMurray chicks . Don't see any problem with that order a few extra . Expect some loses . You might need to get your order in now . Check on the availability for up coming hatches make sure you can get in on one of them . Good luck

I have no experience with mcmurray. I do have experience with this breed from Ideal poultry if this info helps to refine your selection. Last year,I ordered 15 sexed chicks, including 2 Cockerel as I wanted to breed to replenish my stock. The entire purchase experience was good, timely, sexed correctly (only one oops Cockerel), one dead ck inside first 24 hrs, rest of the flock looked healthy. During second week had 3 develope splay leg problems. Did the stick trick and inside a week that was cured. Still, everyone healthy and growing fine. Egg laying age arrived and doing a good job of laying. So here comes the downer for me. All 3 cockerels were mean, I had to separate them, we couldn't even enter the chicken yard without fear of attack so we slaughtered all three. The hens seemed to stay small. I have no idea of weight but they just look small. The eggs are light taupe at best and med size. And lastly, two of them have decent feather patterns but most don't. They don't have that beautiful feather patterns I see on the internet. I think the stock my birds came from are from a chicken mill and worn out. I will keep these layers through the 3rd spring if they keep egg production decent. Hope my info is worth something to you. I m sure other folks had better luck than I did. I think your smart to ask for some pros and cons before you invest money and time into a new flock.

I have no experience with mcmurray. I do have experience with this breed from Ideal poultry if this info helps to refine your selection. Last year,I ordered 15 sexed chicks, including 2 Cockerel as I wanted to breed to replenish my stock. The entire purchase experience was good, timely, sexed correctly (only one oops Cockerel), one dead ck inside first 24 hrs, rest of the flock looked healthy. During second week had 3 develope splay leg problems. Did the stick trick and inside a week that was cured. Still, everyone healthy and growing fine. Egg laying age arrived and doing a good job of laying. So here comes the downer for me. All 3 cockerels were mean, I had to separate them, we couldn't even enter the chicken yard without fear of attack so we slaughtered all three. The hens seemed to stay small. I have no idea of weight but they just look small. The eggs are light taupe at best and med size. And lastly, two of them have decent feather patterns but most don't. They don't have that beautiful feather patterns I see on the internet. I think the stock my birds came from are from a chicken mill and worn out. I will keep these layers through the 3rd spring if they keep egg production decent. Hope my info is worth something to you. I m sure other folks had better luck than I did. I think your smart to ask for some pros and cons before you invest money and time into a new flock.
Thank you, this is my fear for buying hatchery chicks but 30 dollars a bird is hard to stomach. Looking for the middle man out there of you read this!!

Mine from the farmers co-op were small I ordered eggs from saddle apron poultry on ebay hatched out a beautiful rooster. Was gentle with me . Attacked My wife and daughter. He was so pretty that his first offspring's were beautiful and are my hens now . Lost him and have two of his sons ,and one is mean other isn't . Point here is breeding up with chickens isn't that hard or doesn't take that long . I would pay good money for a good rooster . But only if I knew I could make it back, or really just wanted real pretty chickens . McMurray has a pretty good record from what I hear . You take a chance anytime you mail order chicks . One you don't get to see the stock the chicks came from, and then there is shipping stress .It's always a roll of the dice more or less .

I ordered my very first chickens from Murray McMurray and will use them again. I didn't order SLWs but did order 5 different breeds including 5 pullets and a roo for each breed. I was very pleased with the entire process. I received several extra "surprise" chicks with my order (32 birds total). I got exactly what I ordered and the extras were roos, as anticipated/expected. At the time, I believe the entire order with shipping was just over $230.00. Though you're looking for a specific breed, they do offer packages and quantity discounts.

All chicks arrived alive and well to me on the front range in Colorado in spring. I lost one chick that failed to thrive at about 2 weeks. The rest all grew well. Over the following 2 years, I did lose several birds for unknown reasons... perfectly healthy one day, dead the next morning. I also ended up with several mean roos. I don't think that either issue had anything to do with the hatchery per say, but had to do with the specific breed and the source of those chicks. Not all chicks are physically hatched out by the hatchery.

I would not hesitate to order from them again.

ETA... I recently got my Emailed catalog from them and just for grins loaded the site up and took a look... Before I came to my senses I had a 75 bird order selected and shipping calculated as well as dates selected when everything I wanted could be shipped at the same time:
upload_2018-1-20_21-49-33.png

Thankfully I came to my senses before pushing the final button... I'm by myself and really have no need for that many birds! But as you can plainly see, the order form still remains, all filled out and ready to go. Unfortunately, I didn't see the birds you're searching for listed as available... sorry.

Back
Top Bottom