1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Murry McMurry Hatchery?

Discussion in 'Chicken Breeders & Hatcheries' started by fluffandpuffchicks, Jul 11, 2011.

1. fluffandpuffchicks

fluffandpuffchicks Out Of The Brooder

Jul 9, 2011
    Pennsylvania
    Has anyone gotten their chickens from Murry McMurry hatchery and how did it go? Where they in good health? And what breed did you get?

2. grammypam

grammypam Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2010
    Oronoco,Minnesota
    I have gotten from them....White and Buff Orpingtons,Silver Laced Wyandotte,Columbian Wyandotte, Black Jersey Giants and Red Leghorn. And my surprise chick was a Silver Polish rooster. Also 4 ducks. All were very healthy.

3. fluffandpuffchicks

Jul 9, 2011
    Pennsylvania
    I have gotten all my Rhode Island Reds and 3 Leghorns. 1 Leghorn got very sick and passed then the other drowned [​IMG] a rookie mistake... I got my EEs from Stoltzfus feed (they had a hatchery ship in everyones orders) and where very healthy. My Rhode Island Reds where very healthly. As for my Leghorns, they weren't in good health, with us needing to give our last Leghorn medicated feed and Corid powder for about 1 month

4. chickensinwasillaAK

chickensinwasillaAK Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2011
    Wasilla Alaska
    I've bought from the twice, happy both times. First was 40 hens, 2nd was 75

5. drowningcreek

drowningcreek Out Of The Brooder

Mar 30, 2011
    North Georgia
    Very Happy with my purchase. All arrived safe and sound and have thrived.

6. greeneggs444

greeneggs444 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2011
    I have a catalog from them from 2010. do you think they'll have similar selections next spring? Like if I was hoping for a breed in that catalog I shouldnt bother looking into it in the future because they changed it? Even though I wouldnt order from them because their minimum is 25!! [​IMG] I might still consider it though..... [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 12, 2011
  7. ScrappyChicken

ScrappyChicken Out Of The Brooder

Jul 11, 2011
    I bought my first batch of chickens from them a couple weeks ago: anconas, blue andalusians, black minorcas, brown leghorns, and silver hamburgs, five of each breed. They sent two extra--a brown leghorn and a free exotic chick we are still trying to identify. One chick died the first night and we lost an ancona on July 4th, when I discovered she was having trouble breathing. I did my novice best to save her but she passed a few hours after I found her. Other than that the remaining chicks are thriving--running and flying crazily about, making lots of noise and creating lots of mess. We sure do love our chicks:)

8. Blue

Blue Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2010
    Virginia
    Quote:Most hatcheries usually don't get rid of breeds; they're more likely to add more breeds. If you're looking for low minimums, you might want to consider Meyer (3 chick minimum I believe) or Ideal (which only has a dollar limit of $25 and not a chick limit, so as long as your chicks add up to at least $25, it doesn't matter how few you're ordering. If your order is small, however, they'll add extra males for warmth unless you request that they don't).

9. terrilhb

terrilhb Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2010
    Georgia
    I got mine there. All arrived healthy and are still thriving. Got RIR and a mystery chick.

10. fluffandpuffchicks

Jul 9, 2011
    Pennsylvania
    Quote:Im very happy about my RIR and surviving Leghorn. They are so friendly! If you have a pic of your exoctic chick maybe someone/I will be able to help! I have never gotten a mystery chick though. I have strict rules of hens only until I get my own house and big yard [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by