Muscovie question

Greta A

Chirping
Jun 8, 2022
I am new to duck raising. I chose the muscovie bread due to the calmness, egg laying, and their love of eating red algae. I have to much growing in my pond.

I bought 3 girls. But …. I am told by a friend that I have two girls and a boy. Lol. It happens. I was hoping for a second opinion.

Attachments

• DB6455D1-DDA7-40B0-988A-B461CF48A2C1.jpeg
    DB6455D1-DDA7-40B0-988A-B461CF48A2C1.jpeg
    450.4 KB · Views: 19
  • 9E97D73A-B785-4607-88DA-DBD6A8E00AEC.jpeg
    9E97D73A-B785-4607-88DA-DBD6A8E00AEC.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 4
Heya, and welcome to the wonderful world of Muscovy!

How long have you had them? How old are they? They all look female to me, but the angle may distort things. A drake will be twice the size of a hen. If any of them are male, I would say the white one, but there isn't enough caruncle growth on the face to support that, imo.

I have had them for about 10 days. I was told that they were about 9 months old
Okay, at that age the males should have much fuller caruncle growth.

IMG_20211007_151325304.jpg

Here I have two drakes, the white one and the black one. See how much bigger they are compared to the hens? (two were only a few months old, but the chocolate one is an adult). Also, see how the caruncles on them extend down to go all around their faces? It's a bit harder to see on the black because of the colour, but the white one shows it quite well.

Okay, at that age the males should have much fuller caruncle growth.

View attachment 3447860

Here I have two drakes, the white one and the black one. See how much bigger they are compared to the hens? (two were only a few months old, but the chocolate one is an adult). Also, see how the caruncles on them extend down to go all around their faces? It's a bit harder to see on the black because of the colour, but the white one shows it quite well.

Ugh I love muscovy so much

At this age if they are all the same size they are all girls. Another difference with male and female Muscovies is the sounds they make. Mature males only make one sound. It is sort of a huffing. Female Muscovies can make a variety of sounds. Females can make a sound similar to the males, but only make the hissing noise when irritated or occasionally when broody.

Back
Top Bottom