Muscovies are taking over my yard!!

They roost too so I wouldn't be so worried about shelter at night (mine goes back into the coop which is a large shed when it gets dark on their own and they hop on shelves I have around the top of the coop.) I think the problem is that they're sick which is what's causing them to lose their waterproofness. I would definitely talk to the town instead.

They do breed like rabbits... so you'll get quite a bit. I would, if you had the heart to do it, round them up and take them to a processing plant so you don't have to process them yourself but still get the meat. I love my muscovies but they are meant as dual purpose birds for me. I understand not everyone is like that.

So apparently the ducks have decided to stay...there are 30 of them on my front porch hunkered down for the night.

I haven't gotten a chance to make any calls and I never heard back from a sanctuary I contacted. My indoor french lop bunny came down with mucoid enterit is and despite several days if intensive care he passed away Sunday morning. Ironically as I went out to pick the burial spot the mist pathetic muddy wet and shivering duck crawled out from under my car. So after a warm bath, blow dry, and tummy full of food, he made friends with the four hens in my coop.

My husband is starting to warm up to the ducks. I think because I was so upset over losing my bunny Oscar and watching the ducks makes me happy. So theoretically, if I was to build them a very basic shelter, what would the minimum size be for 30 of them? Also would it need a floor or just bedding directly on the ground?

We were planning on building a big coop in the spring to add more hens (and now maybe ducks) so if I built a shelter it would have to do for about 4-5 months.

So apparently the ducks have decided to stay...there are 30 of them on my front porch hunkered down for the night.

I haven't gotten a chance to make any calls and I never heard back from a sanctuary I contacted. My indoor french lop bunny came down with mucoid enterit is and despite several days if intensive care he passed away Sunday morning. Ironically as I went out to pick the burial spot the mist pathetic muddy wet and shivering duck crawled out from under my car. So after a warm bath, blow dry, and tummy full of food, he made friends with the four hens in my coop.

My husband is starting to warm up to the ducks. I think because I was so upset over losing my bunny Oscar and watching the ducks makes me happy. So theoretically, if I was to build them a very basic shelter, what would the minimum size be for 30 of them? Also would it need a floor or just bedding directly on the ground?

We were planning on building a big coop in the spring to add more hens (and now maybe ducks) so if I built a shelter it would have to do for about 4-5 months.
@awarmrainyday You are dif a hero, you and your husband. How sad your neighbor has allowed his animals to get in the shape they are in. Many more would have died if not for you. Ducks can't live through winter months with out someone caring for them and feeding them. [1]As for housing in the Book Of Ducks by Dave Holderread he recommends an area inside a building that can be tightly closed at night against preds to provide min of 6 sq ft per bird Having a floor will keep diggers from getting inside but do not use metal wire for flooring it is really bad on their feet.If you decide to use wood flooring buy some cheap rolled vinyl and put on the floor it is great to keep the wood from staying wet and of course you'll be using bedding.[2] A bedded outside yard provide an additional 2-10 sq ft per bird depending on size and since Muscovy's are large 10sq ft min. this is their outdoor access during the day. If you can get this book[Amazon] or a book store close to you may carry it. It is invaluable to those who keep ducks.

What ever you decide for housing it needs to be secure most predators will take a full grown Muscovy and be back till all are gone. They have no defence against anything with teeth.

again Bless you for what you are doing. and thank you for keeping us updated. {aren't they wonderful birds I love mine.}

so sorry for the loss of your bunny
hugs.gif

Last edited:
I'm so sorry for the loss of your rabbit. 30 Ducks is a lot of ducks to adopt. I would put food and water out for them until you can get a shelter built. Maybe you could list them in Craigs list to see if someone could adopt some. With them being the neighbors ducks I don't know how that would go if he found out. Bless your heart for caring for them.

Thanks you guys! Right now they have a kiddie pool and a smaller tub of water. In the morning I take warm water out since everything is frozen. I've been giving them layer crumbles and scratch since that's what I have. They see me and waddle as fast as they can toward me. It's almost comical how they follow me back and forth across the yard. Some have started eating out of my hand and are letting me pet them. People driving by are probably wondering what the heck is going on in my front yard!

We have pallets laying around at the dock at work, I was going to try to fashion maybe an 8x4 with a roof for a temporary thing. Possibly line it in heavy plastic to weather proof it. I'm not sure it's enough floor space but if I made a communal nesting shelf would they use that too?

I appreciate everyones input and condolences, and for not making me feel like a crazy duck thief!

Will your neighbor want them back once they are all in good health? Shameful that any animal has to suffer. I would be feeding them and building a shelter just like you are but i would also be trying to find new homes for most of them because as a Muscovy owner who has 3 hens we had 9 clutches last summer and thats close to 100 ducklings. Keep calling rescues, shelters, and the police. I know it's time consuming but in the end your heart will be lighter.
Im sorry about your rabbit. Best of luck to you and your new flock of Muscovy ducks.
Also our Muscovy sleep in the barn on hay, ours don't roost for some odd reason but i know normal muscovy do lol. Our pekin and runner ducks sleep outside on the snow no matter what temperature it is even though they have a warm and comfy barn to sleep in.

Make sure to start recording everything. Blog it with pictures and videos. This gives you a timeline for when the strays showed up and what you put into them. Remember, you suspect they are your neighbors but he isn't claiming them. Gives you a legal mallet to beat him in the head with if he tries to falsley reclaim what he has abandoned.

Back
Top Bottom