Muscovies yay or nay

FathertoFeathers

Songster
Aug 26, 2019
Tennessee
Im looking at getting some Muscovies but have heard both good and bad things about them. Ive heard they aren't great layers eat large amounts and are excellent fliers. Are they good layers? How much do they eat and are they really good fliers? Would you recommend them? If so why? Anything you know about muscovy ducks are greatly appreciated! Thank you!

I recommend them! I love my Muscovy. I am now down to 1 drake ( def rec) and 4 females I am losing most too old age. I have a 12 yr old down to 7 yers now. They are very hardy are great at keeping the mosquito population down if you have a problem with them flies too and all other bugs. They do lay but their main goals life is reproducing so they are a broody Duck. I don’t notice them eating as much as my Runners but they are def more laid back and quiet. They are great mothers also and will raise any breed just put the eggs under them! lol they do like to roost along with my chicken in the coop so I use 2x4 for roosts for all. To me they are pretty independent too. They do fly especially the females so I have always clipped wings every fall after molt once they grow in their flight feathers. My drake has never flown he has 4 females so he’s very happy.

I recommend them! I love my Muscovy. I am now down to 1 drake ( def rec) and 4 females I am losing most too old age. I have a 12 yr old down to 7 yers now. They are very hardy are great at keeping the mosquito population down if you have a problem with them flies too and all other bugs. They do lay but their main goals life is reproducing so they are a broody Duck. I don’t notice them eating as much as my Runners but they are def more laid back and quiet. They are great mothers also and will raise any breed just put the eggs under them! lol they do like to roost along with my chicken in the coop so I use 2x4 for roosts for all. To me they are pretty independent too. They do fly especially the females so I have always clipped wings every fall after molt once they grow in their flight feathers. My drake has never flown he has 4 females so he’s very happy.
Those runners probably need more fuel for all their antics!

Im looking at getting some Muscovies but have heard both good and bad things about them. Ive heard they aren't great layers eat large amounts and are excellent fliers. Are they good layers? How much do they eat and are they really good fliers? Would you recommend them? If so why? Anything you know about muscovy ducks are greatly appreciated! Thank you!
I definitely recommend Muscovies! They have such wonderful personalities and are just plain fun to have around.
I wouldn't consider them good egg layers, though, they are more for meat in my opinion.
I do agree that they can be big eaters at times. I don't know exactly how much mine eat, but I've read that 1 Muscovy can eat 1\4 to 1 pound of feed per day depending on the size of the bird.
They are good fliers. The drakes don't usually tend to fly that often because of their size, but the hens love to fly all over the place depending on their mood.
Muscovy ducks also tend to be quieter then regular ducks.
Last but not least, they are an all around wonderful bird to keep around!

Boy my Muscovy sure don’t eat that much feed. But they are great foragers too. I don’t eat mine they are just pets. An built in natural incubators:lol:
Did I really forget to say that!? :lol: They ARE great incubators. Doesn't get much better than a Muscovy! And great foragers, too! I must of forgot to say that, too! :gig

Not all of them are great at flying. None of my adult birds can fly that I have rn. There was a tiny drake jumping around on the roosts this morning though.
P_20190902_104005_vHDR_Auto.jpg
P_20190902_103757_vHDR_Auto.jpg

Back
Top Bottom