Muscovy and Pilgrims together

kenman

Songster
11 Years
Jul 10, 2008
Southwest Missouri
I have been running a breeding pair of Pilgrim geese with my Muscovy's and I'm wondering if anyone else has run geese and Muscovy's together during the broody season?

Our geese run with everything including Muscovies. They usually get along fine. Ours Muscovies have never attempted to breed a goose.
They should be fine.

Sorry, I needed to be more clear! I was wondering if the geese would try to mess with the Muscovy nests or vice versa. Would the Muscovy's go after the gosling's, that is what I was meaning. My group gets along fine, I just want to avoid issues when the girls start setting or when ducks or geese hatch. Thanks.

Quote:
Yes I have! and I don't recommend it. The darn Muscovies did steal eggs from the Pilgrim's nest and move them to her own nest. of course if the goose caught the duck in the act there would be fights and my Muscovy hens could outfight the Pilgrim geese (they tend to be wimpy) and often the gander got into the act. After one spring with three goslings following a muscovy duck around because she had hatched them. I seperated the two breeds after that.

Quote:
My drake would try to mate anything he could catch. I once spotted him holding a wild rabbit down! Nothing came of all this mating except with other Muscovies. Even the other ducks never hatched anything that didn't look like it belonged. The flock of 4 Pilgrims always stuck close together to help fignt off these attacks but everyonce in a while he would catch one away from the flock...

Quote:
Oh sorry I should have read the whole thread before answering, I mentioned the egg stealing that went on. ducklings and to a greater extent goslings tend to 'imprint' to who hatched them and that bond is hard to break. My geese did not try to steal back the goslings hatched by the muscovy. Both parents help to raise goslings, drakes very seldom want anything to do with babies. Both my goose and muscovy mother were pretty worn down after being broody it was funny to watch both mothers assign her babies to the gander to watch while they wandered off for some "me time" Then when a mother would return she would give a call and her babies would return to her. When the duck gave her call the ducklings AND the 3 goslings she had hatched would return to her. I think the mothers argued (I don't really understand fowl language) but I never saw them fight over a gosling. I hope this finally helps.

I know cross-breeding wasn't the OPs original intention but I don't think it would be that unlikely since Muscovies are actually a type of goose.

Back
Top Bottom