Muscovy and Woody Duck Nesting Boxes

Sosalty

Songster
7 Years
Feb 18, 2017
Northern Alabama
My ladies sit atop Woody duck boxes, at times leaning over and peering in the entrance hole. If the little wild wood ducks like trees and tree cavities, just as 'scovies do, would they utilize goose size boxes similar to what the Woodies use?
HmmpAtinyHouse.jpg InYourFace.jpg
In the 2nd pic, Lu-roy is flying into my face. I got off this 1st pic but android wouldn't quick snap again as she put on her flaps right in front of my face before landing beside me. I think they are laughing when they pull these stunts :p

Last edited:
I'm thinking only 1 entrance but large enough for our 3 hens to fit. About 5ft 9in high to bottom of box with a shield to keep squirrels, 'coons, ect from climbing up, or find someway to mount it in a tree so predators couldn't climb to it. I could put a door in the back so shavings could get changed. Not sure how much they will poop in the nest box. Could be a deal breaker.

Need to make time and not sure if that'll happen soon. Maybe, so much to do!

I'm thinking only 1 entrance but large enough for our 3 hens to fit. About 5ft 9in high to bottom of box with a shield to keep squirrels, 'coons, ect from climbing up, or find someway to mount it in a tree so predators couldn't climb to it. I could put a door in the back so shavings could get changed. Not sure how much they will poop in the nest box. Could be a deal breaker.

Need to make time and not sure if that'll happen soon. Maybe, so much to do!
My Muscovy females don't poop in their nest. They will sure do it outside though yuck! if they are frightened I bet they would though. I don't know how you can make it predator proof? mine just find a spot in their coop [they like privacy] and just make a nest in their shavings.

My Muscovy females don't poop in their nest. They will sure do it outside though yuck! if they are frightened I bet they would though. I don't know how you can make it predator proof? mine just find a spot in their coop [they like privacy] and just make a nest in their shavings.

I'm glad you said so! I've noticed very little poop in their pen/coop since they started laying eggs (averaging 1 a day by the way now). So, I'd only need to clean their nest box on a monthly basis I'd guess, though there's still egg removal.

Predator proof, No, predator resistant, Yes. Putting the boxes up on a pole with some sort of shield at 5'9" has worked (squirrels jump 5ft). I've seen hawks sit atop the nesting boxes with Woodies nesting within and there's been no loses. I understand hawks/owls are held at bay with bushes and other structures for ducks. Maybe those predator birds need room to attack according to their wingspan. The entrance for Muscovy hen would be sizeable, just don't know if predator birds would enter or if a Muscovy would/could defend the entrance. Somehow Woodies and Muscovy survive using tree cavities in the wild.

I'm living my 3rd childhood via retirement. This idea is intriguing. Maybe right after I haul 2 pallets of ready-mix cement down to the creek for the planned waterfall :)

Last edited:
Good luck with the cement. We have flying squirrels and boy will they raid a nest box got in a blue blue nest box. I know Muscovy nest in trees in the wild I guess I just like having my girls close by. If your thinking your girls might sit together in this box I don’t think so mine have always liked their privacy.

Back
Top Bottom