muscovy attack...

Yep, try the pin down method, but make him lay there for a while. Whatever you do, don't kick at him, or that will make him worse. You want to show him you are dominant, not that you will fight with him, and he sees kicking as fighting.

Yea, kicking definitely made him worse. And yes, I thought of them as very friendly until this happened and had no fear.

Quote:
gig.gif
That's just all so awesome I don't even know where to start. A flock animal is a flock animal, humans need to be the leader. Establishing dominance will only strengthen the bond.

Well, did you prove to him that you are the "boss"? Highly socialized birds, especially males, come to regard humans as flock members. This generally leads to attempts to subordinate the human just like any other flock member. A firm, non violent attitude adjustment with follow up adjustments can sometimes rectify this bad attitude. It's all about dominance, protection of flock mates, and the pecking order.

Quote:
i have four 4 week old scovy's i raised from one of my dad's hen's hatches. until i build a hutch for them they are staying in his right now. one of my dad's drakes gets the same way when i go in to take care of mine. the first time he attacked i yelled really loud at him and pushed him with a stick. just like yours it made him come after me even more aggresively. i never was around him though until now so he doesn't really know me. he doesn't seem to do that to my dad who had him since he was young. i will add though that the hen is sitting on eggs right now so that may have something to do with it. i hope mine don't act this way
fl.gif
i've spent 24/7 with them since they were a day old lol.

Pin them to the ground using two hands assuring that one holds the head and neck down-- should work. Also pinning their wing behind their back with one hand (sort of like how the police do with handcuffs:lol:) and again restraning the neck and head subdues them. May be difficult for a smaller person as muscovy drakes are strong. As a kid I had one who used to spar with my RIR rooster. The rooster started all the fights. One day when I was away, the drake killed Red and several of the hens-- he just went nuts.

Back
Top Bottom