Muscovy babies hatching!

Jbently28

Songster
5 Years
May 7, 2018
Louisiana
I've kept ducks for years, but this is my first time hatching out muscovies. This particular mama is setting on 17 eggs. So far I have counted 6 heads. My other broody mama's eggs should start hatching out today or tomorrow as well. She only has 6 eggs. I thought her clutch was a week behind until I candled them about a week ago. Apparently she had starting setting on them without me knowing. Mama of the 17 is a lavender and white and mama of the 6 is black. Daddy is a black and white pied. My other female muscovy is a blue fawn who had been laying eggs in the same nest as my lavender. Her eggs have since been moved, but some of her eggs may have ended up in this clutch. My lavender mama was purchased at about 5 months old and she has wry tail. Hoping and praying it is not genetic in this case. We purchased her at a local chicken swap. She was crammed in a dog kennel with many others and loaded into our travel carrier so quickly that we didn't notice until we brought her home. She is super sweet though so we would never dream of rehoming her just because of a deformity. Fingers crossed all of the eggs hatch. I already have homes for the majority of them. I'm sure a couple of females will be staying though. I plan on pulling most of them and letting mama raise the keepers.
20200603_084103.jpg
20200603_100852.jpg
20200603_100248.jpg
20200603_111957.jpg
20200603_112233.jpg

And just for reference, mamas and babies have all been seperated from the other ducks and placed in their own pens just as a precaution.

Back
Top Bottom