Muscovy Breeding Question

Bleenie

Wyan-DO's
10 Years
Jul 14, 2009
The Beautiful Pacific NW ,WA
I can't find anywhere on the net that will tell me the results of these breedings:

Blue X Lavender
&
Blue X Lilac/Fawn-Blue

I would really appreciate ANY help.. I've looked all over the net and found nothing.

Here's a list of some color combinations and what they'd likely produce.
***For this diagram the color listed first will be the drake, that on the right will be the duck.***

black X black = 100% black ducklings
black X blue = 50% black ducklings, 50% blue ducklings
black X chocolate = 100% black ducklings, drakelets will be chocolate carriers.
black X silver = 100% blue
black X self-blue = black ducklings that carry self-blue (pastel)

blue X blue = 50% blue, 25% black, 25% silver
blue X silver = 50% blue, 50% silver
blue X black = 50% black ducklings, 50% blue ducklings
blue X chocolate = 50% black, 50% blue ducklings, drakelets that carry chocolate.

silver X black = 100% blue ducklings
silver X blue = 50% silver, 50% blue ducklings
silver X silver = 100% silver ducklings

chocolate X chocolate = 100% chocolate
chocolate X black = black drakelets that carry chocolate and chocolate ducklets.
chocolate X blue = black and blue males that carry chocolate, chocolate and lilac females.
chocolate X self-blue = black males that carry chocolate and pastel and chocolate females that carry pastel.
chocolate X lilac = 50% chocolate ducklings, 50% lilac ducklings.

lilac X lilac = 50% lilac, 25% chocolate, 25% buff ducklings
lilac X chocolate = 50% chocolate ducklings, 50% lilac ducklings
lilac X buff =

buff X chocolate = 100% lilac ducklings
buff X lilac =

self-blue X self-blue = 100% self-blue ducklings
self-blue X chocolate = 100% black ducklings, all carry pastel, drakelets will carry chocolate
self-blue X cream = 100% self-blue, drakelets will carry cream

cream X cream = 100% cream
cream X self-blue = self-blue drakelets that carry cream and cream ducklets

Got this off of a muscovie breeding website but can't find the url... luckily I had saved it on my drive. Hope this helps

I have an idea on the Blue X Lavender pairing. It's just an idea, mind you, so I could be wrong.

I believe that a lavender muscovy is basicly a black muscovy, with the addition of 2 recessive pastel genes. So, my thought is that it will be like breeding a blue to a black. You should get half blue offspring, half black offspring. All will carry one copy of the pastel gene, which obviously won't show up at all in the first generation.

Does anyone agree or disagree with this assessment?

I'll ponder your other pairing and get back to you if I come up with anything.
smile.png

I searched for the genotype of your blue fawn/lilac muscovy, and found some conflicting information. It seems that some people use the terms interchangably, while others do not.
hmm.png

This brings some questions to mind. Do you have any idea of the colors of the bird's parents? And since it is generally agreed upon that blue fawn/lilac includes chocolate, and chocolate is sex-linked, is the bird in question a male or a female? In my mind, you were considering breeding a blue male with a blue fawn/lilac female. Am I right about that?

Either way, it seems to be a very interesting cross, with lots of color possibilities for the offspring. Silvers, Blues, Blacks, Chocolates, Blue Fawns, Lilacs. Depending on which theory of the genetics of blue fawn/lilac you adhere to, and which bird is the female. Very interesting. I would totally go for it! If for no other reason, to figure out the genotype of the mysterious blue fawn/lilac muscovy.

Now I have to get one, so I can figure it out for myself!
big_smile.png

Maybe this will help...

The Drake would be my Sidney, He's Blue.
The hens would be my Zuri & Kahlua, They're Lilac/Blue-Fawn

I don't recall exactly who their parents are because they came from a good sized flock.

Here is Zuri as a "baby", before her first molt...she was always clearly Lilac...
100_3546.JPG

And Now...
100_4410.JPG

Kahlua as a "baby"...
100_2747.JPG

And Now...
jrqqt5.jpg

They are beautiful! Really pretty birds.

I read that a blue fawn has the genetics of blue (N/n+) plus chocolate. Since we're talking about a female, she only has one gene for chocolate. So ch/--.

Then, (maybe) lilac is different in that it has the genetics of silver (N/N), which I think of as splash in chickens. Plus the single gene for chocolate, ch/--.

I have no idea which genotype your birds have. Sorry I can't be helpful at all there. I simply don't know the difference in what they look like. But if we want to try to figure out what colors you would get from crossing to a blue drake, you would figure the blue X blue, or blue X silver (splash, in my mind). Then figure in the chocolate gene.

It's a little complicated, especially considering that chocolate is sex-linked. And that college genetics classes are far, far in my past! But here's what I come up with. Assuming that your blue drake isn't carrying chocolate, of course.

If the females are blue fawns, you should get mostly blacks, blues, and silvers, with an occasional chocolate, blue fawn, and lilac female.

If they are lilacs, you should get mostly blues and silvers, with an occasional lilac and blue fawn female.

I think.
smile.png

Looking back over the pictures, it seems that Kahlua is darker than Zuri. I wonder if that is the difference between the 2 colors.

If indeed there is a difference....

I wish a genetics guru would chime in. This is interesting!

Kahlua is MUCH darker than Zuri. I also couldnt find anything on the net about the difference in the 2 colors.
sad.png

I think Sidneys parents were Blue(hen) & White(drake). I know there was only 1 blue hen in the bunch they came from & no black drake.

He had a clutch with my Black hen earlier this year and had only Black, Blue(pieds) & 1 SOLID white ducklings.

I don't know if any of this helps but hopefully someone can come along and add their input.

But I guess I could always just wait til next year!
tongue.png

PS.
HAVE to brag... the white baby is by far the cutest white muscovy i have ever laid eyes on!! so perfectly snowy!
love.gif

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom