Canadian Wind

Duck Crazy Canuck
Premium Feather Member
Jul 25, 2022
Eastern Ontario
My Coop
My Coop
Greetings!

I got six ducklings about a month ago, from two different clutches, and a few of them have me perplexed as to what exactly their colours are! I'm attaching a picture of them the day I got them. The ones I'm wondering about are the two gray ones, as well as the one in the centre right. Also attaching a picture of them right now.

I looked at a few websites, and am thinking there is a possibility of the gray ones being Lavender? Their father is a blue with much, much darker feathers.

The other one I was certain was a chocolate, but then started getting the darker wings with fluorescent green which is more typical of blacks. Her brother is barred.

And of course, there is always the possibility of them moulting out of these juvenile feathers and becoming something completely different.

Second pic is my barred on the left, and Mystery Duckling 1. You can kind of see the reddish chest feather.
Third pic is Mystery Duckling 2, sister to the Barred. You can see the the green on the wing feathers, but the rest of her down is all brown, as are the the lower wing feathers.
Pic four is the same #2 ducking, plus #1's sibling on the right, thus Mystery Duckling #3. Not as much white as MD1, giving a better look at the overall feather colours.

Thanks for any help/ideas!

Attachments

• 20220623_163124.jpg
    20220623_163124.jpg
    522.2 KB · Views: 19
  • 20220725_141643.jpg
    20220725_141643.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 11
  • 20220725_141658.jpg
    20220725_141658.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 10
  • 20220725_141722.jpg
    20220725_141722.jpg
    1,006.3 KB · Views: 9
Blues and blacks, with the white one being a black ripple. It will eventually be mostly black with some rippling on the chest and a few feathers.

I'm not sure which one you mean by 'the white one'. Ripple in Muscovy does not fade, but Barred does, which is what the chick on the left in the second pic is, although I was asking about the one on the right.
I'm confused about them being blue though, because as chicks (pic #1) their down feathers are not what a blue should be. It is more similar to what a lavender should be.

I'm not sure which one you mean by 'the white one'. Ripple in Muscovy does not fade, but Barred does, which is what the chick on the left in the second pic is, although I was asking about the one on the right.
I'm confused about them being blue though, because as chicks (pic #1) their down feathers are not what a blue should be. It is more similar to what a lavender should be.
You are correct. I did mix up ripple and barred and should have said barred.

It looks like it is a blue, but all the white feathers make it appear lighter in color. The ducklings looked like blues too. It looks slightly pied.

It is also not uncommon to see brown tones as their feathers grow in. It doesn't mean they are chocolates. My black muscovy hen looks completely brown right now. A lot of them will show those brown tones before molting and as their feathers grow in. The brown tones will go away.

Thank you! I'm trying to plan my breeding for next year, which is really a headache when you have no idea what their lineage is! :D I'm hoping for some surprise recessives.

Thank you! I'm trying to plan my breeding for next year, which is really a headache when you have no idea what their lineage is! :D I'm hoping for some surprise recessives.
I know what you mean. I got 4 Muscovy from a breeder and one is a barred. I am hoping the other three are carriers. I just got 3 barred Muscovy from another breeder, so I am hoping to breed them and get barred muscovy. I am hoping my new blue barred drake is a carrier for chocolate too.

I know what you mean. I got 4 Muscovy from a breeder and one is a barred. I am hoping the other three are carriers. I just got 3 barred Muscovy from another breeder, so I am hoping to breed them and get barred muscovy. I am hoping my new blue barred drake is a carrier for chocolate too.

Just posted my tentative plans for breeding next year. Would appreciate your input/advice!

Back
Top Bottom