Muscovy Drake sitting on nest?

thepregnantgod

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jan 11, 2012
Okay, first, I'm reaching my 100th Muscovy successfully raised. I know the difference between Drake/Hen. Nonetheless, I'm thoroughly confused about my juvenile Drake (about 5 months old).

First, he's huge. He's attempting to mate with the other females. He was a rescue from an attacked nest so I incubated him with two other females. Unfortunately, the raccoon climbed our fence and got his two sisters. So, he's alone. He hasn't quite "fit in" the pack with the other drakes. In fact, he hasn't really challenged them either - being fairly young to their 1+ years.

As for the mating, he's attempted to catch the older females and unfortunately tried to mate/drown a few of the 2 month old ducks.

But most disturbing, he's taken to sitting on a new nest in our yard. He doesn't sit all day like a broody duck. He waits until the hen lays her eggs and the respective drake that guards her leave. About an hour later, give or take, and throughout the day he'll waddle over to the nest and poke at the eggs, build the nest up just like the hen does, then plop down on them for a spell.

I'm truly baffled. Is my duck just "enlightened?" Does he need therapy from lack of family/sisters eaten? I've googled it and nearly everyone's response is - he's not a drake. In this instance, he's clearly a drake - I've seen the pink, dangling proof.

Thoughts?

And here is another one fm this year.....
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/655721/can-my-muscovy-drake-go-broody See post #6

Now it would be soooo cool if you had one of these boys! I sure would like a Scovy drake that acted like this! ... at least the two I have.... though they fight like crazy right now... never, never bother or try to hurt the babies.
smile.png

I've witnessed two of my drakes doing this one being older(over 1yo) and one not a year till Aug.. i think some just figure they want to try it out.. perhaps confused by seeing the girls do it.

I didn't find the behaviour lasted that long though, they aren't really cut out for it lol

Last edited:
My drake who just turned a year old this month was in the duck house yesterday moving around a duck egg that was just laid by one of his girls. Be nice to know what was going on in his mind.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom