Muscovy Drake too gamey? - butcher or exile?

Any animal traumatized right before death will have the taste change. We had that happen with hogs before. The adrenaline release taints the meat.
Pretty sure every rooster I dispatch has adrenaline pumping after I catch them. Even though I let them calm before sticking in my cone.

All market hogs and cows are "traumatized" IMO. :confused:

All venison (deer) and other hunted meat were traumatized.

Gameyness can be heavily dependent on what is fed.

Rest the meat then cook it slow and low. :drool

Exile is NOT a humane choice. Butchering is preferred for me.

Good luck! :fl

All market hogs and cows are "traumatized" IMO. :confused:

All venison (deer) and other hunted meat were traumatized.
I don't agree.

The slaughterhouses that I have seen were well run.

And as to hunting.... depends on your aim.

I once had roadkill moose that was NOT dispatched quickly (the folks that hit it didn't have a gun in the car). That meat was VERY STRONG and extremely difficult to make edible.

I treat it like venison, either cook very quickly no farther than medium rare for breast but stew legs and thighs until fall off the bone

I've heard that before when you mention it :)
The last bit would probably be a good use for this sous-vide thingy we've got then.

The sous-vide wand, is just the perfect thing for making stock btw.
The stock pot in a larger ice chest water bath, can be kept simmering for days at exactly the right temperature, and not taking up valuable stove-top space either.
We processed a quarter moose worth of bones and offcuts last fall with great success.

No, not a factor at all. And most of the muscovy I eat is 9 month to over a year of age male.
well.

That settles it then I guess. Thanks.

Also, a half year in the freezer, especially if not well packaged, can cause freezer burn which can toughen the meat and change taste.

No freezer burn with the worlds best down jacket on.
But thawing out un-gutted for 3 days in the fridge was probably not ideal.

I've heard that before when you mention it :)
The last bit would probably be a good use for this sous-vide thingy we've got then.

The sous-vide wand, is just the perfect thing for making stock btw.
The stock pot in a larger ice chest water bath, can be kept simmering for days at exactly the right temperature, and not taking up valuable stove-top space either.
We processed a quarter moose worth of bones and offcuts last fall with great success.
Hmmmm quarter moose..:drool Can I have the othe r 3quarters? I get deer and wild pig here but no moose. Do you get reindeer?

Hmmmm quarter moose..:drool Can I have the othe r 3quarters? I get deer and wild pig here but no moose. Do you get reindeer?
Hehe :D
Moose hunting is rather popular in Norway, so we bought ours from a colleague.
Some reindeer is actually available in regular supermarkets, but I guess I'd have to live much further up north to get a quarter one like this.

Back
Top Bottom