Muscovy duck egg hatching..?

Sannasilkie

Chirping
Mar 28, 2021
I have a wild Muscovy ducks egg that has been hatched by my two silkies, the duck sneaked in the coop and laid two eggs, one turned dark week after and this one surprised us yesterday. I thought it too had died because the egg is turning partly dark from the inside, I was holding it and suddenly started hearing piping, attaching video.
Today, 24h later there is no more sound, I was trying to candle it and _think_ I might have seen movement but I’m not sure if it’s wishful thinking.
How long after internal pip and peeping sounds should the little one make it’s first pip externally?

Does anyone know what this darkening means? Is it a sign that it’s trying to get out? Is it a bruise?
I’m worried that it might need help getting out, my first and last incubation experience ended in tears when a silkie chick couldn’t get out the shelf after internal pip.

So please anyone who knows about Muscovy ducks, please help.
The egg was first discovered in the coop on January 15th, Saturday will be 5 weeks. It could have been laid day or two before that though, I’m not sure.

Muscovy Ducks require a longer incubation period than domesticated Ducks - 35 days is about right! Also ... incubation does not start when the egg is laid but when the hen decides to plopp her big but on that nest to keep them lil beebees nice and warm, so the egg could have been laid 10 days earlier ... Hatching is hard work!!!

The Muscovy Duckling may easily take 3 days to hatch from the first internal pip ... (you don't hear a peeping sound unless the Duckling/Chick has drawn a first breath (piped internally) ... the lil thang may actually be sleeping right now, recharging it's lil Duck batteries for the external pip :)

Give him/her time ... patience is key

Thank you :)

So this is en egg that the duck laid on the coop between 13.1- 15.1 because I usually collect eggs daily so I can’t have been more than that. The chickens were already broody so they started sitting on it immediately.
So yesterday was day 32-33 and I could hear it peeping inside very clearly ♥️
That would mean it internally pipped, right?

I was just wondering why the egg looks like it’s bruising all over; it’s kind of turning dark.
When I was looking at it with light, I thought I saw faint movement.

Yes, when you hear peeping, your hatchling has definitely piped internally!!!

bruising usually results from the 'hatchling' attempting to pip externally and perhaps hitting a vein!? Did the Silkie chicks hatch yet?

TO ASSIST OR NOT ASSIST
You may consider 'manually' drilling a small hole in the existing air cell of the Muscovy Duck egg ... the hole should not be large enough for you to be able to actually peek inside, only large enough to permit for the Duckling to get more oxygen ...

It may take the Duckling up to 3 days to hatch on it's own, during that time the lil wee one is absorbing the yolk ... you could lose the Duckling if you assist him or you could lose the Duckling if you do not assist her, it's a tough call - one I am glad I do not have to make!!!

I don’t have a rooster so the ladies very happy to adopt this little egg I guess. I mean it’s not that little really 😅

8D50A88B-B687-4C81-9100-BDA71191EB7E.jpeg

Attachments

• FC12AB07-F35E-44FE-A2F7-4EC2A2EDD600.jpeg
    FC12AB07-F35E-44FE-A2F7-4EC2A2EDD600.jpeg
    320.3 KB · Views: 11
This is how it looks like when shining a light, I think I can see some veins in the second picture

Attachments

• BB3EFE99-8A9E-472C-B9E6-CD15879468EE.jpeg
    BB3EFE99-8A9E-472C-B9E6-CD15879468EE.jpeg
    190.2 KB · Views: 9
  • D7469473-94EE-40DB-8641-2E6B585B26C4.jpeg
    D7469473-94EE-40DB-8641-2E6B585B26C4.jpeg
    248.9 KB · Views: 11

Back
Top Bottom