Muscovy Duck Random Death Worried about Others

jsullivan704

Chirping
Jun 27, 2018
Ohio
Im not sure if this is the correct forum but I wasn’t sure where else to post it other than ’ducks.’ I’m going to try and go into detail about what happened.

I have 13 ducks of various breeds, 6 of which are muscovies. 2 males and 4 females, they are our only male ducks. All my ducks are about 2 years old, and have been together their whole lives pretty much. I only had one death it was a pekin back when they were about 6 months old, no idea why she died we never figured it out. We currently have our other pekin quarantined she has bumble foot and is recovering great thankfully, every morning we have a whole routine with her and we have been very busy with taking care of her feet each morning.

This morning we got up to check on everyone and found one of our muscovy females dead laying by their pool, she was laying face down with her neck out. We checked her over and found nothing wrong the only thing different i noticed was that down by her tail feathers there was a bald spot. Like the feathers were plucked out but it wasn’t red, or bloody. There were no signs of blood or scratches or anything. No entry in the coop/run at all from an outside animal, they are completely untouched. I checked for signs of being egg bound and she wasn’t. She was cold when we found her so I’m assuming she died last night, or during the night.

Im just really worried it was a disease and maybe the others could have it? Is there any way to tell how a duck died? Any ideas what could have happened? She was not acting sick or weird, wasnt walking funny. The rest of the ducks seem to all be fine as well I’m just worried I don’t want any others to die. Wanted to see if anyone has any ideas?

Not certain as to the cause, but generally sudden death in birds is not from an infectious disease. Is everything okay this morning ?

Back
Top Bottom