muscovy duckling gender? (pics)

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by nanaluvsgps, Sep 26, 2012.

1. nanaluvsgps

nanaluvsgps Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2012
    Australia
    I picked up this little cutie at the produce store the other day because I couldn'[​IMG]

t resist him, and he was asking me to take him home. I'm just wondering if any muscovy breeders out their think by the shape of it, if it is a boy or girl. I know you can't really sex them unless vent sexing but he is way to old, approx 2-3 weeks. Any ideas? :)

2. CelticOaksFarm

CelticOaksFarm Family owned, family run

Sep 7, 2009
    Florida - Space Coast
    He is not too old to vent sex at this point by someone who knows what they are doing. You will have to wait until it is much older to visually tell gender.

3. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    By about 5-6wks it becomes more obvious, i find that is usually when i can spot them and i have raised quite a few now from ducklings. The shorter leg is promising towards a duck but it can throw you, some birds are a touch slower in their growth(leave you guessing for awhile)

Either way, a cutie! enjoy!

4. nanaluvsgps

Apr 5, 2012
    Australia
    aww, really hoping for a drake but either way I will be happy. He is very loud and peeps non stop but probably because he is lonely. When we take him out he hates to be handled but will stop peeping and go to sleep in your lap if your not patting it. Took him out side today and he just jumped into the big girls bath tub, and started zooming around. does any of that point to a drake? also he will pec at anything and nothing more than your fingers!

5. nanaluvsgps

Apr 5, 2012
    Australia
    updated pics, still thinking girl? I watched some vidios on youtube on how to vent sex ducklings and I did it so gently that I don't even think i did it right. I couldn't see anything though? I'm now thinking girl :D It has pin feathers everywhere except for the wings.[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. ian4379

ian4379 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2011
    Australia
    i reckon female, its a bit early to tell, and even harder without anything to compare too.

7. nanaluvsgps

Apr 5, 2012
    Australia
    its foot size is the same as my two 1 1/2 old female ducks, feet grown really fats since last post. and allmost as tall now but a little shorter. guess we will find out sooner or late, if it was a drake how old would he be when i would know for certain?

8. bird sitter

bird sitter Chillin' With My Peeps

I'm noit saying he's not a muscovy but i have had tons of muscovies and none of them look like that...?

9. VI KING RANCH

VI KING RANCH Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2011
    Campbell River
    I would say pekin...just saying doesnt have the bean that muscovies have.

10. nanaluvsgps

Apr 5, 2012
    Australia
    nah he's a muscovy, he is allready getting that big lumpy red cranual at the start of the beak :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by