Muscovy duckling has scoliosis and keeps getting stuck on his back in the coupe. He’s 7 weeks old. I feel so bad and need advice. 😢

AmyA248

Songster
Jun 20, 2022
Good morning to all!

I have a Muscovy duckling that was born with severe scoliosis. I’m trying to give him the best life possible, but there are things he can’t do. We have 11 ducks and he and his two siblings are the youngest, at 7 weeks.
His siblings stay by him and seem to protect him, but he’s very limited.
I find him on his back all the time, as he can’t get back up. He has trouble getting out of the pool even though I made it easy for him.
My heart breaks for my sweet, little Duck.
I don’t know if he’s in pain or suffering.

My question is this..
Should I bring him inside and put a diaper on him and make him an indoor duck?
He has a great temperament and loves to be held.
I just worry because I know ducks are social animals and need the companionship of other ducks.
I’m torn as to what to do, I’m afraid something terrible can happen!
We have cameras, but I can’t watch them 24/7

If you were in my position and loved your duck, what would you do?

Thank you so much! ❤️

Attachments

• IMG_5311.jpeg
    IMG_5311.jpeg
    581.2 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_5307.jpeg
    IMG_5307.jpeg
    923.3 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_5306.jpeg
    IMG_5306.jpeg
    566.8 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_4554.jpeg
    IMG_4554.jpeg
    560.2 KB · Views: 20
My question is this..
No.
I had one like this before. I left her outside with the others and kept an eye on her.

Here's my duck:
There is a genetic "wry neck" that I think is similar to wry tail, and I happen to own one such duck. Let me see if I can find a picture of her.

Here is a picture:
crook_neck_1.PNG

No.

I had one like this before. I left her outside with the others and kept an eye on her.

Here's my duck:
Hi!

Thank you so much for responding!
His condition is breaking my heart. He and his 2 siblings are my youngest in the flock, and sadly he’s being picked on!
I caught our drake trying to drown him in the pool this morning! He’s still a baby and has trouble getting in and out of the pool and for some reason a few of our adults are picking on him. He’s so sweet and friendly and I’m concerned that he’s going to get hurt.
We have cameras, but I can’t watch them 24/7, and the adults are HUGE! Poor Franklin is scared to death of them and I feel like I’m not doing right by him.
His siblings stay by him constantly, as to try to protect him, but they are young and small as well.
I’ve seriously considered bringing him indoors and using a ducky diaper. He loves to be held and snuggled. But I know ducks are very social and become depressed if they don’t have a companion.
I honestly don’t know what to do other then re-home the one that certainly seems to have it out for Franklin.
He shouldn’t have to live in fear and be chased and picked on constantly. He already has a severe disability and the fact that he is harassed constantly only makes matters worse.. 😢

No.

Here's my duck:
Here’s Franklin, Marilyn & Dotty. They are always together. As well as a photo of some of our others.
Poor Franklin has to rest constantly and put his head down. Do you think he’s in pain??

Attachments

• IMG_5308.jpeg
    IMG_5308.jpeg
    865.8 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_5305.jpeg
    IMG_5305.jpeg
    345.4 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_5319.jpeg
    IMG_5319.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 11
  • IMG_5320.jpeg
    IMG_5320.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 11
  • IMG_5421.jpeg
    IMG_5421.jpeg
    381 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_5424.jpeg
    IMG_5424.jpeg
    535.6 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_5425.jpeg
    IMG_5425.jpeg
    341.2 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_4045.jpeg
    IMG_4045.jpeg
    393.2 KB · Views: 11
some reason a few of our adults are picking on him.
Odds are because they know that he is not a duck that should be contributing to the gene pool. Animals tend to eliminate ones with poor health and other genetic issues, as well as any that are different (like how polish are often targeted for their crests)

It's my experience that ducks do bite or otherwise attack weak, injured and vulnerable ducks. It's an inate instinct even with ducks that are closely bonded.

Are you able to fence off a separate enclosure for Franklin and a couple of his friends? That way he gets to live normally outside and not unnaturally inside.

I have a duck that has become disabled after 2 years free ranging with my flock. He can't walk. He is tightly bonded with one of the others, but even his devoted bonded pal tries to bite him when he is outside. I have him spending his days right up next to the screen in my rear porch and the others come and hang around with him when they are not foraging. His bonded friend comes when he calls.. He seems happy. Your duck can move around whereas mine can't. It is kindest to leave him with his pal's outside

Last edited:
Good morning to all!

I have a Muscovy duckling that was born with severe scoliosis. I’m trying to give him the best life possible, but there are things he can’t do. We have 11 ducks and he and his two siblings are the youngest, at 7 weeks.
His siblings stay by him and seem to protect him, but he’s very limited.
I find him on his back all the time, as he can’t get back up. He has trouble getting out of the pool even though I made it easy for him.
My heart breaks for my sweet, little Duck.
I don’t know if he’s in pain or suffering.

My question is this..
He has a great temperament and loves to be held.
I just worry because I know ducks are social animals and need the companionship of other ducks.
I’m torn as to what to do, I’m afraid something terrible can happen!
We have cameras, but I can’t watch them 24/7

Thank you so much! ❤️
At 7 weeks he shouldn't really be unsupervised around a pond, or around any drakes, he could do serious harm to it.
Do you even know that this is a male? Because if female, it needs keeping away from mature drakes until it is sexually matured.

Especially being that this baby is handicapped, personally I'd separate him with a couple friends of the same age or close to it.

Odds are because they know that he is not a duck that should be contributing to the gene pool. Animals tend to eliminate ones with poor health and other genetic issues, as well as any that are different (like how polish are often targeted for their crests)
Omg! Really?
He’s so sweet and it breaks my heart!
I’ve been told not to have him live inside and wear a diaper, but he is definitely being picked on. I know it may make him depressed to be alone with out his siblings, but I honestly don’t know what else to do.
Even though we have cameras we can’t watch them 24/7.
Do you think he will be ok inside? Someone is always home..

It's my experience that ducks do bite or otherwise attack weak, injured and vulnerable ducks. It's an inate instinct even with ducks that are closely bonded.

Are you able to fence off a separate enclosure for Franklin and a couple of his friends? That way he gets to live normally outside and not unnaturally inside.

I have a duck that has become disabled after 2 years free ranging with my flock. He can't walk. He is tightly bonded with one of the others, but even his devoted bonded pal tries to bite him when he is outside. I have him spending his days right up next to the screen in my rear porch and the others come and hang around with him when they are not foraging. His bonded friend comes when he calls.. He seems happy. Your duck can move around whereas mine can't. It is kindest to leave him with his pal's outside
Hi!
Yes, I can ask my husband to build a separate enclosure for him and his 2 bonded siblings. They try to protect him and he lays on them and rests his head on them.
I have to think about how much room they will need and get more fencing. We have fans in their coupe, sleeping boxes, an overhang and triple projection from predators.
It’s going to be difficult having separate times for them to free range, forage and swim. I have to watch the younger ones still even though they are fine in the pool, mostly I worry about Franklin, I can’t let him swim without supervision because he has trouble getting out even though I built a special ramp for him.
I know he’s just a duck, and sometimes people think I’m crazy because I have to rush home to check on him, but I honestly love the little guy! And I love all of my ducks. But I find myself getting VERY angry at the ones that pick on him!!
This morning one of the bullies had Franklin pinned in the corner and was SITTING on him, I couldn’t even see Franklin and it got me so upset I actually cried because I’m just at a loss as to what to do. Franklin deserves a better life then to be bullied and scared all the time.. 😢

Back
Top Bottom