Muscovy Ducklings Boys/Girls?

yoie

Songster
Jan 28, 2011
Easternshore of Maryland
These guys I got on April 20th, and they were around 2 weeks old then. So they are about 6 weeks old now. When can I tell if I got boys/girls? I have a few pics of them, any ideas or is it still to early? Also curious of what colors I got.

Here is a group shot of the three in question (the other little one is a call duckling) The one in the front is a little larger than the other two and has a bolder personality. It also has black feathers coming in edged in brown.

A better shot of the little striped one, this one is the middle sized one. Not as bold as the dark one but still fairly friendly. Is has the stripes and a white patch on its chest.

The shy one and the smallest of the group. It is mostly white with blackish/brown patches and blue eyes!

And a few more pics at different angles.

These guys I got on April 20th, and they were around 2 weeks old then. So they are about 6 weeks old now. When can I tell if I got boys/girls? I have a few pics of them, any ideas or is it still to early? Also curious of what colors I got.

Here is a group shot of the three in question (the other little one is a call duckling) The one in the front is a little larger than the other two and has a bolder personality. It also has black feathers coming in edged in brown.

A better shot of the little striped one, this one is the middle sized one. Not as bold as the dark one but still fairly friendly. Is has the stripes and a white patch on its chest.

The shy one and the smallest of the group. It is mostly white with blackish/brown patches and blue eyes!

And a few more pics at different angles.

Looks like your right on the one with the most blk, looking at his legs they look thicker. Thats a good way to tell too, drakes legs will be thicker. The other 2 could be girls hard to say looking at pics, what do you think looking at their legs?

Looks like your right on the one with the most blk, looking at his legs they look thicker. Thats a good way to tell too, drakes legs will be thicker. The other 2 could be girls hard to say looking at pics, what do you think looking at their legs?

I agree as well, It's worse than a poker game trying to sort Muscovy
lol.png

The darkest one is chunkier of the three, and the patchy one is the slightest build. But the striped one goes either way
barnie.gif
I just hope I at least have one of each so I can more little muscovies down the road. My luck with ducks is I always end up picking out girls!

The darkest one is chunkier of the three, and the patchy one is the slightest build. But the striped one goes either way
barnie.gif
I just hope I at least have one of each so I can more little muscovies down the road. My luck with ducks is I always end up picking out girls!

Ack! don't complain about that! girls are hard to get.. we had to drive a massive distance to buy three to add to our flock, the ONLY reason I have allowed mine to go broody and produce young is to gain more, i figure why buy something i can er.. make? lol

Ack! don't complain about that! girls are hard to get.. we had to drive a massive distance to buy three to add to our flock, the ONLY reason I have allowed mine to go broody and produce young is to gain more, i figure why buy something i can er.. make? lol
I so agree, if you have 1 drake then by all means have more girls he can take care of them all. Now if you have 2 drakes and one duck you'll have an excuse to get more ducks, duck math same as chicken!!

i think the black one is a drake, the barred one is a duck, not 100% on the other one but leaning towards drake. having said that i've hatched out about 100 this season and still get tricked by the odd one at this age. i love it when i think one is a drake but it turns out to be a nice big female
smile.png

i've got plenty of female ducklings here if you want some, might cost a bit in air fairs though, and its probably illegal.

i take back what i said about the barred one, just looked at them again, in the top photo's its looking drake then in the bottom pic it looks more duck, dunno now
smile.png

i think the black one is a drake, the barred one is a duck, not 100% on the other one but leaning towards drake. having said that i've hatched out about 100 this season and still get tricked by the odd one at this age. i love it when i think one is a drake but it turns out to be a nice big female
smile.png

i've got plenty of female ducklings here if you want some, might cost a bit in air fairs though, and its probably illegal.
Strap a GPS on her wing and let her fly over.
smile.png

I have 80 muscovies right now born from 15 Apr to today. The best way to tell is wait until they are 3 months old. By then you can easily sort out the drakes from the hens.

Back
Top Bottom