What type of ducks are these?

Elisabeth8

In the Brooder
Mar 5, 2022
Pittsburgh, PA
Hi! I have 3 ducklings that are a little over 2 months old. I don’t know their sex or breed but I’m really curious. Two of the pictures are what they look like when I got them (they were a week old). The other pictures are how they look now.
I’m thinking the dark one with the face stripes looks like a rouen. I used to think the brown one (black as duckling) is a cayuga but I’m not so sure anymore. The grey one is the most confusing. Is it a Blue Swedish? It doesn’t have the white spot on its chest like all Swedishes I’ve seen but I don’t know what else it would be.
As for sex I think the brown one and grey one are females and the possible rouen might be a male. I’m just guessibg by sound.

Attachments

• 8F67DBB2-EC2B-40ED-B850-258FB4E69992.jpeg
    8F67DBB2-EC2B-40ED-B850-258FB4E69992.jpeg
    903.8 KB · Views: 97
  • 6C5B70F6-BED0-4EA9-A16D-2456AB7200CB.jpeg
    6C5B70F6-BED0-4EA9-A16D-2456AB7200CB.jpeg
    665.7 KB · Views: 28
  • 68357037-A73D-4A8B-AA43-928AD4406182.jpeg
    68357037-A73D-4A8B-AA43-928AD4406182.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 34
  • 941172F9-4932-49A0-B4F6-4BED60174F7C.jpeg
    941172F9-4932-49A0-B4F6-4BED60174F7C.jpeg
    901.6 KB · Views: 32
Hi! I have 3 ducklings that are a little over 2 months old. I don’t know their sex or breed but I’m really curious. Two of the pictures are what they look like when I got them (they were a week old). The other pictures are how they look now.
I’m thinking the dark one with the face stripes looks like a rouen. I used to think the brown one (black as duckling) is a cayuga but I’m not so sure anymore. The grey one is the most confusing. Is it a Blue Swedish? It doesn’t have the white spot on its chest like all Swedishes I’ve seen but I don’t know what else it would be.
As for sex I think the brown one and grey one are females and the possible rouen might be a male. I’m just guessibg by sound.
They are lovely! Where did you get them? My guess would be they are mixes.

The solid brown/black one looks like my dusky mallard mixes. There are several breed cross combinations that could look like that, but they start out looking black as ducklings and then feather in with mallard penciling without the eye stripes. If it's a drake it will get a green head but without the white neck ring.

The only breed I know of that looks like your blue one is a blue Cayuga. I don't know if it's an "official" Cayuga color or not, but they have been developed and are sold by at least a few breeders, though they are quite rare. A mixed duck could also easily have that coloring. They are beautiful; I've wanted to breed a mixed duck that looks like that someday!

The one with the facial stripes could be a Rouen, or could also be a mix if the others are and you don't know for sure.

The solid brown/black one looks like my dusky mallard mixes. There are several breed cross combinations that could look like that, but they start out looking black as ducklings and then feather in with mallard penciling without the eye stripes. If it's a drake it will get a green head but without the white neck ring.

The only breed I know of that looks like your blue one is a blue Cayuga. I don't know if it's an "official" Cayuga color or not, but they have been developed and are sold by at least a few breeders, though they are quite rare. A mixed duck could also easily have that coloring. They are beautiful; I've wanted to breed a mixed duck that looks like that someday!

The one with the facial stripes could be a Rouen, or could also be a mix if the others are and you don't know for sure.
I just remembered that I'm pretty sure Dark Campbells have the dusky mallard coloring, so that is also a possibility for that one :).

Thanks! I was wondering if they were mixes. I got them from a local Tractor Supply and they had no idea what types they were or anything about them.

Back
Top Bottom