Muscovy Ducklings Curled Toes

sspeirs772

In the Brooder
Jan 8, 2016
Hello everyone I live in an apartment complex that has muscovy ducks living within the community.I was outside and I heard very loud peeping I guess you would say so I followed the noise and found two muscovy duckings shivering alone on the ground. I looked around and there were no other ducks around. I picked them up and I noticed that their toes where curled and I am now assuming that they couldn't keep up so mom left them? They look to be about 2-3 weeks old and I don't know if I should try to straighten out their toes or if it is too late to do that. Attached are pictures of them and what their feet look like. They are doing well and eating starter food. They walk with their feet curled under them and get around very well. I am just concerned that when they get bigger they will not be able to support the weight as muscovy ducks are fairly large.
[/IMG]

They may not be as old as you think - some people have had good success with a combination of nutritional therapy and braces to straighten the feet.

Some have used cardboard "shoes" with vet wrap to attach them.

The nutritional therapy involves B vitamins. A tablespoon of nutritional or brewer's yeast per cup of food is what I have read people using.

I have tired to straighten out Jasper's feet and when I do there are still bumps almost like knuckles I can't straighten them completely. However with Beau there is one foot I can straighten out. I am afraid I will hurt them if I do something and their bones are formed like that now.

Of their feet never straighten do you have any idea if they will be ok? I am willing to take care of them as I am home all day. I have grown quite attached to them and they have gotten attached I like to think at least...maybe they just know I mean food and fresh water...lol

There are folks who set up slings - some on wheels - for ducks with leg problems. And they should be able to float and swim once they get fully feathered.

Hello, what cute little ducklings!! It could be a Niacin deficiency. I mixed 100 mg tablet (that you can buy at Walgreen's, CVS, etc.), in a gallon of water and that's what I gave my ducklings to drink everyday. Although Brewer's yeast may add Niacin to their diet as well. I would probably start with one or the other (tablets or yeast), and see if you start seeing improvement. Let us know how they are doing :)

Also, while they are this little, you can put them in your kitchen sink with maybe an inch or two of water and they will walk around and have fun in it.

Back
Top Bottom