Muscovy ducklings

Codyw2277

In the Brooder
Aug 22, 2017
Hey all. So I have 6 muscovy babies. Unfortunately the mama died a couple weeks ago so now they're on their own. I made them a pen. They were free ranging before hand but I had to make them a pen since the mom and two ducklings got killed... I was wondering how I could raise these babies now that the mom is gone. They're about 2 months old. Almost 3. I also would like to know how I could turn them more into a pet and not freak them out everytime I start getting close up to them. They like me considering I feed them. Every time I go see them, they get excited, waiting on their water to be changed and food. But whenever I get close up they start to freak out. so I'm wondering what I can do to improve further relations lol. Also, what can I do to help raise them up now that moms gone?

Also quick question; I'm looking into incubating a few eggs. Would this make it easier to raise them as.pets and have them be more comfortable with me?

Attachments

• 372a3c87-1788-47b4-b15c-6580f56f8b76.jpg
    372a3c87-1788-47b4-b15c-6580f56f8b76.jpg
    144 KB · Views: 13
It takes time and being Momma raised first they will never be totally trusting...Take your time and feed then treats...Mine lay by my feet outside but I never try to touch them....Get and incubator and raise from hatchlings...The more time you interact with them the first 24 hours the more they imprint on you...

You shouldn't have to do anything special to raise them. People raise ducklings from the egg without the hen around all the time. Just keep them clean and provide fresh food and water for them and they will be fine.

To tame them, go sit with them in their area, sprinkle some food or treats around your feet and just sit and read a book, they will get used to you being there.

Alright thank you! And when incubating, should I start incubating whenever the egg is first layed? I understand this is the best way to get the best result hatching wise and imprinting.

Alright thank you! And when incubating, should I start incubating whenever the egg is first layed? I understand this is the best way to get the best result hatching wise and imprinting.
I haven't ever incubated, but, I have read a good deal on here about it. You want to set all eggs that you want to hatch on the same day, and they should be ok to wait for up to a week before setting them. By setting I mean turning the heat on in the incubator. You can go ahead and put the eggs in the turners but don't turn the heat on or you will have eggs hatching each day. They don't start to develop until the heat hits them, so if you gather for a week, and set the same day, then the chicks will all be the same age (within hours) rather than having 1 hatch each day which is what would happen if you set each one the day it is laid.

For imprinting, I don't think it matters as long as you are the first thing that they see, that's what they imprint on... But I don't think other babies count, never heard of a duckling thinking it's sister is mom..

Back
Top Bottom