ElGoose

Songster
May 27, 2023
Got 3 Muscovy ducklings recently, does anyone know anything about colouring names and figuring out the sex? I’ve seen people talk about them but not super sure myself.
Very healthy and happy so far, surprised to see how quickly they warmed up to me and now they sprint to me and follow me around the garden haha names are Graham (grey one), Helga (brown one) and Hector (black one)

Attachments

• IMG_9567.jpeg
    IMG_9567.jpeg
    897.8 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_9677.jpeg
    IMG_9677.jpeg
    869.3 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_9720.jpeg
    IMG_9720.jpeg
    506.4 KB · Views: 13
Got 3 Muscovy ducklings recently, does anyone know anything about colouring names and figuring out the sex? I’ve seen people talk about them but not super sure myself.
Very healthy and happy so far, surprised to see how quickly they warmed up to me and now they sprint to me and follow me around the garden haha names are Graham (grey one), Helga (brown one) and Hector (black one)
I do not know about muscovy duckling colors. To me they are always wait and be surprised.

I think yours are too young to sex at the moment. Males will grow larger but that may not be evident until 8 weeks. By then females are about full grown but males may carry on growing. I have males with fan shaped tales and 2 males with tapered pointy tails, so I don't hold faith in tail shape as a good sex indicator. Once they start vocalizing, at may be 12 weeks old, the females develop sweet babbling voices. The makes just huff and puff. At 6 months, males have more carruncles and thicker legs than females, that are noticeably smaller than males by then

Never a drake feather on a Muscovy drake
How old are they?
Oof I’m actually not too sure! I’ll have to ask the person I got them from as she’s coming to visit this sunday, we’ve had them four weeks so far and they were already quite grown (larger than my hand) when we first got them

So if you have a drake you should know in a few weeks usually I can tell by where the legs sit under their body the drakes legs are set farther apart than the females, the females legs are set close together and look like they might step on their own feet when walking.

So if you have a drake you should know in a few weeks usually I can tell by where the legs sit under their body the drakes legs are set farther apart than the females, the females legs are set close together and look like they might step on their own feet when walking.
I’ll have to have a look tomorrow! I’m not too bothered about knowing for sure but I was a little curious as to telltale signs and whatnot haha

Back
Top Bottom