Sick Muscovy

Today was a good one! Goon 2 participated in all 3 foraging walks without needing to be encouraged, ate quite well, seemed quite comfortable, and spent the evening walk biting playfully at her sister’s feathers and “laughing” about it, Muscovy-style! She was also very difficult to catch at medication time, which I always see as a good thing, even if it is a bit frustrating. Back to work tomorrow with an incredibly long day expected, so she won’t have almost constant care, but I’m hopeful that she will continue to improve. Estimated chance of survival has been upgraded to over 50%! Thank you all for your well wishes and advice. I’m cautiously optimistic tonight :fl

Edited to add: her abdomen is still swollen a bit, but half the size it was. I’m hoping that she will continue to pass any egg-related material and will re-absorb any built up fluid. I will probably schedule a recheck appointment at the end of her 3 week course of antibiotics to make sure that further treatment is not needed. Thinking about a recheck appointment is actually quite positive, considering the fact that I didn’t think she’d make it past the 48-hour mark!

Last edited:
Update time! It’s been a crazy week (overly long work days and a sick cat), and it’s only Wednesday, so I haven’t been able to spend as much quality time with the girls. However, Goon 2 is continuing to get her meds and is continuing to improve from what I’ve seen. She’s now feeling good enough that she is making her feelings about “those stupid meds” very clear, lots of angry chirping and stomping around! Abdomen is still more rounded than it should be, but not hard or tight or painful.

16 more days of antibiotics, if I’ve counted right. :th

I don’t remember if I’ve already mentioned it, but they sent out a fecal sample, and she has no parasites, so that’s good!

1 week ago, she was near death. Today, she’s doing great! Meloxicam and calcium have been discontinued, she is no longer laying, and she’s got about 2 more weeks of antibiotics. I think the trick is going to be to keep her from laying. Hopefully, this implant will get her through the rest of the laying season, and I won’t have to worry about her until spring!

Attachments

• 892708E2-B33B-4219-B85D-C3FEFBA75572.jpeg
    892708E2-B33B-4219-B85D-C3FEFBA75572.jpeg
    739.4 KB · Views: 4
  • 01FE93FA-65F7-4B07-B4A5-CB2F038E16CD.jpeg
    01FE93FA-65F7-4B07-B4A5-CB2F038E16CD.jpeg
    696 KB · Views: 4
1 week ago, she was near death. Today, she’s doing great! Meloxicam and calcium have been discontinued, she is no longer laying, and she’s got about 2 more weeks of antibiotics. I think the trick is going to be to keep her from laying. Hopefully, this implant will get her through the rest of the laying season, and I won’t have to worry about her until spring!
She's a beautiful Hen. So happy that she is doing better.

2 more days’ worth of antibiotics! It’s been a long stretch this time (24 days), and she’s quite fed up with this nonsense. She’s feeling good and sassy, and it now takes two of us to catch her most nights (mornings are easier if I catch her while she’s just waking up). She’s been foraging, flying here and there, chasing her sisters with great glee, and generally doing well. She started her molt today (belly feathers first, as usual), and I hope that this is a sign that her troubles are done for this year. I truly believe that she can not survive laying eggs anymore, so I am going to come up with a plan to get her another implant in the spring before laying season begins.

Back
Top Bottom