Muscovy Ducks And Chickens Do Not Mix

I also have Muscovies in with chickens, and they do fine. In fact, I have a little bantam Cornish hen in there who sits eggs along with the ducks. She gets right in the nest with them, and claims some of the eggs for her own, and when the ducklings hatch, she mothers them along with the Momma duck. If you're sure the Scovies did the killing, then something really strange must have happened to have upset them that much. So sorry for your loss!

Quote:
Hmmm, interesting story Cowboy_Shamblin.
Have you come back to read any of the responses to your story?
It seems you are the only one amongst all these people who have had this kind of experience.

I would like to hear more about: to quote steve of sands poultry these; "outlaw" muscoveys,
who fly about in a group, swoop into a cochin pen and kill twelve of them.

what time of day was it?
you said they were killed before you could do anything about it, sound like trained assassins to me.
this year when? what day?
i would know the exact minute some outlaw muscoveys flew into my cochin pen killing all twelve of them.
are you protecting your flock now from these murderous muscoveys?
if so, how?

enquiring minds, and yes skeptical minds would like to know.

thank you.

beth

Quote:
Totally off topic, but zazouse, these are the prettiest muscovies I have ever seen! I never liked the caruncling much--I suppose these must be young hens? hmmmn, they'll win me over yet.

I am so sorry that you lost your chickens. .... is there anyway that it was something else that got them?

I have always had my muscovey with my chickens ... and my muscovey actually was brooding chicken eggs :)

Sorry, you lost your flock. Real hard to believe Muscovies would be the responsible party. Really sounds more like what dogs would do.

I Hen Coop my Muscovy Drake and non sitting Ducks at hatch time when the other Muscovies are hatching ducklings in the Duck House. No problems, ever. They Run the yard together every day, no problems. I have seen the Muscovies go over and break up hen fights. I let the young teen chicks (12 weeks and up) out with the ducks not the chickens, because the ducks pretty much ignore them. The chickens pick on them.

Are you in Nevada, Wild Muscovies there? That's a bit far from the Texas counties where there are Wild Muscovies. I'm in Texas and haven't had a problem with Wild Muscovies. And we know they are in more than 3 counties. No, I'm not talking about ferral Muscovies, maybe you are.

zazoose, I want your drake.
droolin.gif
hmm.png
Where were you again?
hmm.png

Last edited:
Quote:
Totally off topic, but zazouse, these are the prettiest muscovies I have ever seen! I never liked the caruncling much--I suppose these must be young hens? hmmmn, they'll win me over yet.

Thank you

Thats a hen and drake

Back
Top Bottom