1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Muscovy ducks and cold weather

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by showjumper_girl2002, Jan 2, 2012.

1. showjumper_girl2002

showjumper_girl2002 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2011
    I live in Florida and have two scovy's that are 4 months old. Though Florida normally has good warm weather it's gonna be cold for a few days (37 degrees is the coldest so far) I'm worried about them being in this cold of weather. I'm new to scovy's is it ok for them to be out in 30 degree weather? They have a little hutch that's made from chicken wire with a tarp over one side of it for protection from wind and rain. Do I need to put them in a crate and bring them in at night?

2. keeperofthehearth

keeperofthehearth Chillin' With My Peeps

They should be fine. Do you have straw or pine shavings for them to snuggle down into? Mine have been doing just fine out all day in high 20's though they prefer warmer weather & I do close mine in at night so they are out of the wind/rain/snow.

3. showjumper_girl2002

showjumper_girl2002 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2011
    Ok that's a relief! [​IMG] they have hay and a box to go in too. Thanks! [​IMG]

4. DUCKGIRL89

DUCKGIRL89 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2011
    TN
    it was getting so cold here in TN that i couldnt bare it no longer and made a sock sweater for my 1 1/2 month old rouen duckling [​IMG] i coulnt let him out there without a sweater..........

hope you dont mid a pic [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    (hes a runt, so he has very few feathers, he also has 3 other ducks to warm up with...)

5. puppies9099

puppies9099 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 17, 2013
    Classified
    I have 4 musovies and are fine i dont even have any hay or shavings for them i would be concerned about predators cause i lost 6 ducks this year from predators

6. laughingdog

laughingdog Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2011
    Newport Tennessee
    In east tn here, and very cold!!!, my scovies are cold except when in huge dogloo, or barrel on side, and small med and large dog houses. preds bad and cats chickens pigeons and chickens are always around our three large to huge dogs for protection. we have dog packs, panthers as locals call here (jaguarundy i think how to pronounce), human preds, and something that can't say as sounds crazy and can't believe even seeing that loves something about my scovy when bears mountain lions ect don't.

7. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    You know you have us curious now, don't you? Something like a yeti? bigfoot creature...

8. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    What do they sleep on? since you say you haven't any straw or hay? and [​IMG] losing that many ducks make me wonder if they have a secure place to be at night and in the day too.

9. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    [​IMG]

10. puppies9099

puppies9099 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 17, 2013
    Classified
    they sleep on the bank and there is this styrofoam that they sleep on too I don't know how I could lose my muscovies I mean I, have a great pyrenees and she guards all night but they took all my males so now I'm looking everywhere trying to find male muscovies for sale lol

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by