Muscovy ducks and cold weather

showjumper_girl2002

Songster
8 Years
Jun 20, 2011
Florida
I live in Florida and have two scovy's that are 4 months old. Though Florida normally has good warm weather it's gonna be cold for a few days (37 degrees is the coldest so far) I'm worried about them being in this cold of weather. I'm new to scovy's is it ok for them to be out in 30 degree weather? They have a little hutch that's made from chicken wire with a tarp over one side of it for protection from wind and rain. Do I need to put them in a crate and bring them in at night?

They should be fine. Do you have straw or pine shavings for them to snuggle down into? Mine have been doing just fine out all day in high 20's though they prefer warmer weather & I do close mine in at night so they are out of the wind/rain/snow.

Ok that's a relief!
smile.png
they have hay and a box to go in too. Thanks!
big_smile.png

it was getting so cold here in TN that i couldnt bare it no longer and made a sock sweater for my 1 1/2 month old rouen duckling
lau.gif
i coulnt let him out there without a sweater..........

hope you dont mid a pic
hide.gif

89286_2012-01-02_160602.jpg

(hes a runt, so he has very few feathers, he also has 3 other ducks to warm up with...)

I have 4 musovies and are fine i dont even have any hay or shavings for them i would be concerned about predators cause i lost 6 ducks this year from predators

In east tn here, and very cold!!!, my scovies are cold except when in huge dogloo, or barrel on side, and small med and large dog houses. preds bad and cats chickens pigeons and chickens are always around our three large to huge dogs for protection. we have dog packs, panthers as locals call here (jaguarundy i think how to pronounce), human preds, and something that can't say as sounds crazy and can't believe even seeing that loves something about my scovy when bears mountain lions ect don't.

In east tn here, and very cold!!!, my scovies are cold except when in huge dogloo, or barrel on side, and small med and large dog houses. preds bad and cats chickens pigeons and chickens are always around our three large to huge dogs for protection. we have dog packs, panthers as locals call here (jaguarundy i think how to pronounce), human preds, and something that can't say as sounds crazy and can't believe even seeing that loves something about my scovy when bears mountain lions ect don't.
You know you have us curious now, don't you? Something like a yeti? bigfoot creature...

I have 4 musovies and are fine i dont even have any hay or shavings for them i would be concerned about predators cause i lost 6 ducks this year from predators
What do they sleep on? since you say you haven't any straw or hay? and
welcome-byc.gif
losing that many ducks make me wonder if they have a secure place to be at night and in the day too.

they sleep on the bank and there is this styrofoam that they sleep on too I don't know how I could lose my muscovies I mean I, have a great pyrenees and she guards all night but they took all my males so now I'm looking everywhere trying to find male muscovies for sale lol

Back
Top Bottom