Muscovy ducks gender?

These two lovely ducks are the same size and so will be the same sex. @seviper, you mention "it's been a few months" : how old are they? 3 months? 4 months? They look closer to 3 months.

By 4 months, drakes will be huffing and puffing when they are excited -- mine are excited that I come and let them out of the coop in the morning. And by 4 months, females make sweet little chirping or trilling noises.

What sounds are yours making @seviper?

I dont want to predict the sex of 2 muscovy that are the same size by other physical characteristics. I have been wrong too often looking at "strong legs and feet" and "broad tails" in photographs. Even my own Daffy who I hand reared appeared to be female both by temperament and growth rate -- I weighed him daily and he grew along the average line for female muscovy growth. He just didn't stop growing at female muscovy size!!!

You will know for certain by 4 months of age. They are lovely looking muscovy

Did they by any chance say if they were vent sexed or by sex linked color because of the parents colors? Do you by any chance know what color the parents were? They both carry the chocolate gene which if they both are supposedly female it makes me wonder if maybe their color is sex linked.

These two lovely ducks are the same size and so will be the same sex. @seviper, you mention "it's been a few months" : how old are they? 3 months? 4 months? They look closer to 3 months.

By 4 months, drakes will be huffing and puffing when they are excited -- mine are excited that I come and let them out of the coop in the morning. And by 4 months, females make sweet little chirping or trilling noises.

What sounds are yours making @seviper?

I dont want to predict the sex of 2 muscovy that are the same size by other physical characteristics. I have been wrong too often looking at "strong legs and feet" and "broad tails" in photographs. Even my own Daffy who I hand reared appeared to be female both by temperament and growth rate -- I weighed him daily and he grew along the average line for female muscovy growth. He just didn't stop growing at female muscovy size!!!

You will know for certain by 4 months of age. They are lovely looking muscovy
Thank you very much :)
They are 3 months old. The white one has always been much bigger, and had thicker legs. Also, the white one is always more active. Now, the difference in size is much smaller - the white one is only a bit bigger. They make the same sound... no puffing, sounds like a female trilling sound when she is scared/excited.

Did they by any chance say if they were vent sexed or by sex linked color because of the parents colors? Do you by any chance know what color the parents were? They both carry the chocolate gene which if they both are supposedly female it makes me wonder if maybe their color is sex linked.
They told me they were vent-sexed. No idea about the parents :(

Do you have any other Muscovy? Is there a reason you wanted females?

They are absolutely gorgeous, btw. Now, they do look like drakes to me, but I have been wrong more often than not when it comes to pictures. Main reason I am saying this is their caruncles being quite well developed. My females barely have any at this age.

Do you have any other Muscovy? Is there a reason you wanted females?

They are absolutely gorgeous, btw. Now, they do look like drakes to me, but I have been wrong more often than not when it comes to pictures. Main reason I am saying this is their caruncles being quite well developed. My females barely have any at this age.
I don't have any other muscovy ducks. I want at least 1 female in order to have ducklings and eggs. I feel like the brown one is a female...

Thank you very much :)
They are 3 months old. The white one has always been much bigger, and had thicker legs. Also, the white one is always more active. Now, the difference in size is much smaller - the white one is only a bit bigger. They make the same sound... no puffing, sounds like a female trilling sound when she is scared/excited.
If they are both trilling and not huffing, you have 2 females!

If they are both trilling and not huffing, you have 2 females!
Are males expected to start huffing at this age - 3 months? Well, none of mine is huffing.... so - females?? Or should I check their sound again in another month?

Back
Top Bottom