Muscovy eggs at 36 days. How long did yours take to hatch?

Scovyfive

Chirping
Sep 19, 2020
I know I'm being impatient here, but I don't want to delay the let down.

I've got two muscovy mamas sitting on eggs, one clutch is on day 36 and the other is on day 34 or 35. No signs of life yet. One egg was gathering flies and I disposed of it this afternoon.

My mamas have been very dedicated in their setting. I'm totally new to this and am wondering if my picking the eggs up throughout the weeks ( very gently ) could have caused problems.
My other concern is that it's been in the 90°s for much of the time they've been setting, and we had a run of days it was over 100° ( up to 107°). They stayed on the eggs even in the heat (both are first time moms)
Thoughts? Also, what day count did yours hatch if you remember.

After such a long wait it will be so sad not to see a single duckling 😥

I don't have a candler unfortunately. I used my phone early on and verified veins in most of them. But my phone wasn't strong enough to determine growth beyond that.
A regular flashlight is strong enough to candle them. I actually prefer my flashlight over the actual egg candle or I bought.

Maybe I will try my flashlight again once it gets dark. Hopefully I will see some movement. Thank you!
Don't give up hope yet! Eggs can be off by a a few days sometimes. It can also take a duckling a full 48 hours to hatch, so you could have a couple that are working on hatching!

Best of luck ❤️.

A regular flashlight is strong enough to candle them. I actually prefer my flashlight over the actual egg candle or I bought.
Thank you for this suggestion! I tried again with my phone when it got darker and candled a couple that were under my one mama. And both of them showed movement! Yay! It must not have been dark enough the last time I tried with my phone. This time I took a couple pieces of thick cardboard and cut a small hole to let the line shine through. This helped to focus the light through the egg.
I didn't try more than the two, I didn't want to mess with the eggs too much.
It looks like they are just a little late, but I'm so happy. Even if I only get two, that is so much better than none.

So I thought I would update this post. Currently my mamas are on day 40 and 38. Still not even a sign of hatching.
I have removed one more egg that was stinking and drawing flies. I have one other I'm 99% certain is bad but I'm trying to error on the side of caution.
Of the other 10 that are left, two nights ago I candled 7 of them and saw movement in 5.
I never knew I could be so impatient. But I'm happy to see little life moving in the eggs.
I will try to keep posted.

When my muscovy brooded eggs, I could smell the bad egg toward the end.
I wonder if the actual brooding started later than what you have figured? They start laying the eggs, but the setting starts later on once they have a full clutch. Keep us updated!

Back
Top Bottom