Muscovy Emergency! Please Help! * PICS *

bird sitter

Songster
7 Years
Aug 21, 2012
The great state of Texas!
Well today I went to a local pond that has tons of muscovies. I visit at least once a month and I haven't been in a while. About two months ago I went and their was a baby Muscovy who was badly hurt and I wanted to bring him home, but I didn't have enough space at the moment. I went home expanded for the next week or so then went back.... He was gone I looked at every duck and walked around the pond several times. I couldn't find him so I thought that a drake could had drowned him cause of his injury. I haven't been in about two months since I had went to find him again and I went today and suprisingly found him! I brought him home and made an extension off of the chicken run. I will add a pic of his injury to this thread. He must of had a freak accident when he was born.... I know that it wasn't a deformity because he's got a crack and a tear on his bill. When I get back home I'll add more close up pics, but his bottom bill ( mandible ) is split in two pieces, the skin in between the two sides is ripped, and his tongue hangs through it. His tongue is pretty much calliced as hard as a rock. I feel very bad! Please help! I'm not for sure what I can do! I can't tell if it hurts him or not, but he eats seed perfectly fine and if he hits his bill hard on something it doesn't seem to hurt at all! Thanks!

If he can eat and drink, you may not need to do anything special. I would get a fecal test done to make sure he does not have parasites or other infection, and treat him if he does. Keep him quarantined till you are sure.

Vitamins, electrolytes, probiotics and good food, safe shelter and clean water all do good.

Let me see if I can figure out how to help. I always fiddle with it a bit before it works, then it's easy.

There is an icon in the reply/edit box (where we type the text in) that is the eighth icon from the right side (on my screen). It looks like a little picture. Click on that and the first option is to upload a photo. Then select the photo off of your computer. That seems to work.

Last edited:
We had a wood duck who was like that and did just fine. I think the only thing that could fix it is surgery. But, I think he might be OK, anyway, especially if he's eating and drinking. Make sure he has water at all times.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom