Muscovy eye problem

TearDucks

Songster
5 Years
Mar 16, 2018
Rochester NY
Hello,
I have a female muscivy about 6 yrs old that she started out with a foamy eye that I treated and that cleared up, but she is closing the clear eyelids on both her eyes and closing her eyes completely. She is missing stuff thats in front of her like she can't see all that well. She is eating and drinking and pooping just not acting herself. I feel like she's in pain with her eyes. I don't know what to do for her. This morning I put the vetericyn othalmic gel in both eyes. I feel like her face mask is pale even though I'm seeing her drink regularly. Also giving them feather fixer for immune support. Any thoughts in how I can help her?
20230621_114754.jpg

I had a chicken like this once. Here’s what you can do:
Find yarrow and plantain, steep a few leaves from each in a container in the sun for about two hours. Get an eye dropper, and put some of the steeped liquid on the eye every hour or so. The plantain helps pain, and the yarrow helps infection. Hope this helps.

I had a chicken like this once. Here’s what you can do:
Find yarrow and plantain, steep a few leaves from each in a container in the sun for about two hours. Get an eye dropper, and put some of the steeped liquid on the eye every hour or so. The plantain helps pain, and the yarrow helps infection. Hope this helps.
Thank you so much for your response. Did you ever find out what caused this? Did your chicken recover?

Sorry for your loss. Your state vet could perform a necropsy on her body with testing in case you would like to get a diagnosis. The body needs to be kept cold in garbage bags, but not frozen to be taken in. There may have been a respiratory disease causing the foamy eye. Here is a list of state vets:
https://www.metzerfarms.com/poultry-labs.html
Thank you, I buried her. She was 6 yrs old that I know of, she mightve been older. She had no symptoms of respitory diseases. I just miss her, she was my favorite 😭😭😭💔 she followed me everywhere and she would rather be with me then the other ducks. I had a bond with her like no other. She loved to be pet and held. It's just so hard goin in the coop bc she always came to me for interaction. So naturally I look for her but she's not there. 😭😭

Back
Top Bottom