Muscovy Hen not walking.........Good Update

Batty about Banties

Songster
8 Years
Feb 12, 2011
Gorge
We started to notice her limping so we separated the boys but she wasn't getting better. She takes every opportunity she can to sneak into our laundry room so we set her up a nice area in there to let her rest. She still wasn't putting weight on her leg, I felt her leg and joints but nothing seems to be outta place. We put her back outside but only with the girls and she still is not looking like she is getting better. Any ideas about what might be wrong please let me know.

Last edited:
We started to notice her limping so we separated the boys but she wasn't getting better. She takes every opportunity she can to sneak into our laundry room so we set her up a nice area in there to let her rest. She still wasn't putting weight on her leg, I felt her leg and joints but nothing seems to be outta place. We put her back outside but only with the girls and she still is not looking like she is getting better. Any ideas about what might be wrong please let me know.
If the boys were over breeding her they may have hurt her back, they are pretty hefty especially if they are mating out of water, It may take a while for her to get over what may have happened. Are you giving her any support like Poultry vitamins/electrolytes or both. also swimming may help to take pressure off her leg and back plus give her some much needed therapy, warm water would be good. Keep her away form the Drakes even after you noticce her doing better or they may injure her again. Rest and some special TLC may bring her around if not then maybe a trip to the vets? Is she laying eggs?

I was thinking about running a warm bath for her but yea maybe over breeding, we try to monitor it but ducks are sneaky little critters.
wink.png
I will keep a close eye on her and not let the boys out when she's out and see what happens.
fl.gif

I was thinking about running a warm bath for her but yea maybe over breeding, we try to monitor it but ducks are sneaky little critters.
wink.png
I will keep a close eye on her and not let the boys out when she's out and see what happens.
fl.gif
This could be in her lower back and rest will probably take care of it. Also could be symptoms of egg binding, Is she laying? I know my boys are after the girls constantly. Sometimes I have to put them in separate parts of the yard to give the girls a break. Especially my older ones.

When she was inside she laid an egg but I haven't seen one today since she spent the night in the barn last night.
One thing you need to do for her is let her rest, that means she can exercise but not alot. try to keep her in a smaller area so she isn't using her leg alot. If she laid and egg then she is probably okay but keep an eye on that too. Warm soaks in water with vitamins like Poultry Nutri Drench and rest may be the best for her right now, and No visits from the drakes. Keep us updated on her progress please.

It kinda looks like boiled egg yolk...........she is walking a little better today though, not alot but a little. We feed her flock raiser and a type of vitamin that we got at the feed store. I do not have it by me right now and I can't remember the name. We also give her some table scraps like veggies but not on a regular basis. She doesn't seem to have any bulges or anything, I felt her underneath well today and didn't notice anything.

Back
Top Bottom