1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Muscovy keepers share your pics!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by keeperofthehearth, Feb 8, 2009.

1. zach N houdan

zach N houdan Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2012
    New Jersey
    To me Muscovies should have large caruncles that is I like on my muscovies and I breed for that! I have a young male that has amazing even caruncles I will post photos soon !!

2. greenwitch

greenwitch Out Of The Brooder

Aug 5, 2013
    oregon
    sorry double post

Last edited: Aug 26, 2013
  3. greenwitch

Aug 5, 2013
    oregon
    sorry, double post, trying to figure out the multi-quote

Last edited: Aug 26, 2013
  4. greenwitch

Aug 5, 2013
    oregon
    You might be right. I had just thought that by almost 7 weeks the difference would be more obvious. I looked at them closer today, and they really are the same size, only difference is in feet size, leg thickness and the black one's head and beak are bigger... Overall body size is the same. Any other opinions - Ms. Lydia do they both still look like two ducks to you?

5. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Nope looks like you have a drake and duck they are both beautiful too. I love my drakes they are very personable.

6. greenwitch

Aug 5, 2013
    oregon
    yes they are beautiful and it is fun to watch them growing up!

7. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Yes it is, I always enjoy sitting out side watching the flock and youngins running around.

8. lesander

lesander Out Of The Brooder

Hey, I'm no duck pro, but have muscovies too, mine were kinda all the same size til about 8-9 weeks, there was small differences looking back now I can tell the differences, but not at the time. , the people we got my first 2 from kept 4 ducklings as well, and we went back around them being 8 1/2 weeks to compare sizes to ensure ours were ducks. And there was no question which was male and female, they kept one drake and he was gigantic compared to the ducks. The ducks legs were about half the size and their legs are much closer together, where as the males legs were really far on the outside of his body...if that makes any sense!

9. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Does to me. [​IMG] by 6 weeks I could tell I had 1 drake 2 ducks.

10. misschickenlittle

misschickenlittle REALLY wants a new title

Oct 30, 2010
    Missouri
    I am such a newbie that even though mine are about 12 weeks I still don't know!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by