Muscovy keepers share your pics!

I am such a newbie that even though mine are about 12 weeks I still don't know!
LOL I know it is hard maybe you have the same sex is the reason your having trouble. Since I had 2 ducks and a drake hatch this time it was pretty easy to tell by around 5-6 weeks the drakes just start growing so fast they leave the ducks in the dirt so to speak,. Them thick legs and setting wider apart under neath them to is a big give away.

My Six day old babies

I had 2 hens sitting on 1 nest..today 3 hatched out and an hour later they where dead, one hatching had damage to its head..so I removed my drake, thinking he killed them..1 more hatched and I found it dead., but this time its leg was ripped half way off....I took the rest of the eggs and put them in the incubator.
Are my hens fighting over the hatchlings? I dont understand what happend.

I had 2 hens sitting on 1 nest..today 3 hatched out and an hour later they where dead, one hatching had damage to its head..so I removed my drake, thinking he killed them..1 more hatched and I found it dead., but this time its leg was ripped half way off....I took the rest of the eggs and put them in the incubator.
Are my hens fighting over the hatchlings? I dont understand what happend.
Sounds like they may be. a couple years ago one of my Scovy ducks was hatching out her ducklings and attacked the first one I'm thinking if I had come along when I did she would have killed him,. None of the other eggs hatched.

So very sorry for your losses I hope the rest hatch. You'll have to brood them though I would try to give them back to these ducks.
Sometimes there is no explanation but I have heard others say it's not a good idea to let 2 ducks sit one nest.

Last edited:
Sounds like they may be. a couple years ago one of my Scovy ducks was hatching out her ducklings and attacked the first one I'm thinking if I had come along when I did she would have killed him,. None of the other eggs hatched.

So very sorry for your losses I hope the rest hatch. You'll have to brood them though I would try to give them back to these ducks.
Sometimes there is no explanation but I have heard others say it's not a good idea to let 2 ducks sit one nest.

They are first time mothers. Next time ill seperate them when they are laying.
It was my first time with ducklings, so I was excited. I have 2 ducklings in the brooder now and 2 eggs in the incubator. Most of the other eggs where bad or had ducklings that didnt make it. The one egg I opened had twins in it, but sadly they where dead

They are first time mothers. Next time ill seperate them when they are laying.
It was my first time with ducklings, so I was excited. I have 2 ducklings in the brooder now and 2 eggs in the incubator. Most of the other eggs where bad or had ducklings that didnt make it. The one egg I opened had twins in it, but sadly they where dead
Twins aww I saw someone else some years back that had twins and the ducklings didn't make it. We'll hopefully they will be much better next year. and hope the 2 in the brooder will soon have some new friends. can you see internal pip or external on the ones in the bator?

Twins aww I saw someone else some years back that had twins and the ducklings didn't make it. We'll hopefully they will be much better next year. and hope the 2 in the brooder will soon have some new friends. can you see internal pip or external on the ones in the bator?

I was shoked when I opened that egg!
But the 2 in the incubator, one is externaly piped and ther other I cant see if its internally piped or not. But I can see slight movement.
Ill post pics of the 2 in the brooder in a min

Back
Top Bottom