Muscovy keepers share your pics!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by keeperofthehearth, Feb 8, 2009.

1. Duck Love07 AR

Duck Love07 AR Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 8, 2013
    Trumann Arkansas
    [​IMG]

I have all my soon to be babies nice and warm. :D

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Loving this country life Premium Member

[​IMG] awww

Last edited: Aug 25, 2013
  3. gaitngirl

gaitngirl Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG]
    These guys are a little over 2 months now and most are as big as their parents! I think most of them are boys, too. Out of 12, 4 are most likely girls. And I got a call from a guy yesterday asking me to come get another female and her five ducklings. I'm out of room unless I can get a duck coop set up before winter.

4. daffyduck10

daffyduck10 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 11, 2013
    i get comments from people in the neighborhood all the time about how its not right to own a duck and that it is illegal i cant find anything about it being illegal to own a muscovy duck but i was wondering if anybody knew the laws on it in the US

5. The Howards

The Howards Chillin' With My Peeps

Hmm, I had read one time that it was illegal in certain areas in certain states to own Scovies. Don't know if it is true or not. The article said it was because there were large flocks in the areas and they were chasing off the normal wild waterfowl (as they are not native to the area). I believe in most areas it is illegal to own a wild animal and try to keep captive/domesticate it. You may want to give your local animal control a call to find out any ordinances/laws you should be aware of.
    A coworker had a Canada goose limping around in his yard. He tried to corral it to keep for an animal control/wildlife worker to pick up and he was told they would come get it but if if was on his property then he would be fined up to $1000. He shooed it out of the yard and then called and said come get it.

6. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    I have heard to in some areas it is, that would vary. As for duck ownership in general that varies too. You'd have to check with town bylaws. Here for instance, you must be zoned rural in order to own livestock of any sort and that includes chickens and ducks.

7. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Loving this country life Premium Member

The gov. tried to make it illegal to own Muscovy's but the public cried out, they really had no idea how many folks had them as back yard pets/livestock. so the rules changed. But you can read some of what happened here https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...ulation-changes-open-for-comments-10-1-update

This is why it is so important that if we are going to have this breed that we take every precaution to make sure they don't fly away, that is one reason why they are hated and killed in some parts of the country because they are so prolific and it's up to us to keep it from happening. I know around here people buy them and they fly to the river and now we have a feral Muscovy population here, I haven't ever heard of them being slaughtered yet and hopefully I won't but the way they multiply it wouldn't take many years before what is happening in Fl and other places to take place here too.

8. Fowl Menagerie

Fowl Menagerie Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2012
    ohio
    Is anyone breeding muscovies to have less red (caruncling?) around their face ? I find the birds much more attractive with as little as possible. I know this is not to standard, just a personal preference.

9. Alaskan

Alaskan The Frosted Flake

I think it depends a great deal on who you get them from. Lots of the photos i saw on the internet of Muscovy had large caruncles. The ones i bought have very little. My drake has a completely smooth red face. I have been told that over time more caruncles develop, so i am not sure how he will look in the future, he is over two years now.

10. daffyduck10

daffyduck10 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 11, 2013
    thank you everybody. i found her on the side of the road, soaking wet all by herself in the middle of the night when she was about a week old, theres really no telling where she came from but she let us pick her up and shes loved us ever since she'll even follow me around and fly to me when i tell her too i do keep her inside at night in a cage made for big dogs but during the day she stays outside but she doesnt ever leave the yard even we she starts to fly high she'll turn back around to us

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by