Muscovy keepers share your pics!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by keeperofthehearth, Feb 8, 2009.

1. mara1

mara1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 13, 2013
    Thanks,
    so reading they are fliers is clipping their wings the same as any bird/parrot? Live in urban area have a 6ft privacy fence but they can't run at large. When will their flight feathers come in?

2. mara1

Sep 13, 2013
    Also should I worry about my koi sounds like they can eat pretty big things.

3. Alaskan

Alaskan The Frosted Flake

after you clip them (yep, just like with a parrot, except I liked doing it with three people, one to hold the muscovy, one to gently cover the bird's eyes, and one to cut the feathers), you can easily see that the wing feathers are missing. It is easy to just keep an eye on the feathers, and see them when they grow in.

4. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Loving this country life Premium Member

I have pond gold fish and my ducks are not allowed in their small pond some of my fish are 10" long. for one thing the ducks can really muck up a pond fast.

I clipped my Scovys wings about 3 weeks ago they were around 3.5 months old. I could have waited till 4months but they were already flying up onto the duck house and yes if your familiar with clipping other birds it's the same just one wing.
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/806587/duck-wings-clipped-but-still-flying#post_11757538

Last edited: Oct 3, 2013
  5. mara1

Sep 13, 2013
    Thanks Everyone
    I guess I can at least look forward to them being quieter. I hope they both don't turn out to be drakes.

6. Miss Lydia

Well that's a first most only want ducks not drakes or one of each. I love my drakes they really are sweet hearts.

7. Olaa

Olaa New Egg

Oct 3, 2013
    Aloha!

Anyone capable of helping to figure out the sex of these scovies? Around 4 months old I believe. 2 look alike more than the other, but the 1 (with the whiter face), while a bit smaller (was the "runt" of the clutch, according to the guy who sold em to me), seems to be the most dominant/aggressive amongst the 3 as well as the 2 pekins that grew up together with this group.

Any help much appreciated :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. Frank Phinster

Frank Phinster Chillin' With My Peeps

He looks really funny. If I were a rival I couldn't take him seriously at all [​IMG]

My drake loves bathing but for some reason he hates swimming. Whenever he wants to bathe he stands on the edge of the pond and only dips head and chest into the water. With that technique he manages to pour water all over himself. Both his sons are developing the same behaviour, they still allow themselves to slip into the water now and then, though.
    Is that a typical muscovy drake thing? My females still go on the pond for bathing and sometimes simply enjoy floating on the surface.

9. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    well it's not sure fire as pics are hard to tell with but looks like two drakes and possibly a duck... there is a good size difference between the sexes and usually the first way you can tell, vocals come later, so does fleshing.

Basically it looks like a female is failing to thrive when it's just she will never reach the size of her male counterparts. See here brown bird in front is a duck, in the back is the drake.. they were a June hatch, older pic but shows the sizing differences, i cannot recall the age but younger than yours in this shot.

[​IMG]

10. Miss Lydia

I know poor guy, My older drake 9yrs loves to take a bath, my 2yr old will do what yours does stand on the edge and mange's to bath that way unless it's mating season and there's a duck in the water then all bets are off
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

my 1yr old still loves to get into the pool for no apparent reason other to just soak and play, my 4 month old loves to play dive in from the side and get in and try to splash out as much of the water he can. They all have their lil personalities that's for sure

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by