1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Muscovy keepers share your pics!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by keeperofthehearth, Feb 8, 2009.

1. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    I think it depends on the bird a bit, so personality. My females are the ones who do it the most but the juvi drakes do too. The mature ones? nah, there huge and prefer to just walk everywhere, i doubt they could get off the ground if they wanted too.

2. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    [​IMG]

3. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    [​IMG] good to see ya Eden!!

4. Frank Phinster

Frank Phinster Chillin' With My Peeps

Yes,he has a good memory for insults...when he was young he got bossed around by my runner drake, but as soon as he had matured he became very nasty to him - ne never touches the runner duck, but the drake has received some beatings.

Better safe than sorry. I let my ducks unclipped mainly for the reason to grant them a way of escape from the drakes...I have three right now, one is rather shy and one is moulting, but can change in a hurry...

5. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    We are in the "everyone tolerates each" other time of year, fall through winter everyone pretty much gets along, ahh such a nice time. No telling what's in store next breeding season since our newest drake will be wanting to mate.
    [​IMG] I won't think about that now, nope I wont. LOL

6. gaitngirl

gaitngirl Chillin' With My Peeps

I don't know if any of you are in MI but I have 4 big, pretty drakes - just over 4 months old - for sale or trade. I hate to have them processed as they are so nice but I have way too many boys! They go for processing next week if they don't sell.

7. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    [​IMG] Hope you can find homes for them, now you know how I have ended up with 4 drakes[ like I need a hole in the head]

8. gaitngirl

gaitngirl Chillin' With My Peeps

I hate to do this but they are already chasing their sisters. I don't want any inbreeding between them and their sisters or mom. Plus, with the number of boys I've got they are going to be harassing the girls too much and I don't want them stressed. I am keeping one drake who has such comical personality and nice color (he's almost a silver or lavender over soft brown) that I want to see what his color settles at. His father's color has turned from a dark chocolate to nearly black in the past couple of months.

I just picked up a new duck egg customer today - a frenchman actually, who asked if I would sell him any live ducks that he could process himself. I'm still on the fence about that . . .

9. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Tough decision, My Drakes that hatch say this season don't start mating till following year. It's always been this way. But you know that too many drakes can cause havoc in the flock so maybe as long as he does the humane processing it could be an option. Another reason why I don't hatch a lot of ducklings I don't want to have to make that decision.

10. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    My babies from this year 4 months on Sept 28th
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 10, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by