Muscovy keepers share your pics!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by keeperofthehearth, Feb 8, 2009.

1. Dianne88

Dianne88 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2013
    Panhandle, FL
    Very Pretty

2. TommyDaDelaware

TommyDaDelaware Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2012
    Central WI.
    I thought that of my drake too.. Put him at 15 pounds, and he had been playing in the road... *Dumb duck* so mom goes and puts him in the riding arena turned duck pen, with wire mesh and yadda yadda, the fence is a good 4-5 feet tall, and he flew over it.... 15 pounds... Flew over the fence.... I'd have loved to have been there. We still clipped his wings, and of course all the juvies are figuring out, HEY!! Look what we can do!! Wont be long now before we have muscovies flying the farm again... Gotta love em tho!! That's Naughty too who flew... ;)

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 10, 2013
  3. daffyduck10

daffyduck10 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 11, 2013
    we got daffy on june 4th when she was probably about a week old, shes been eating flock raiser but they only have crumbles here and theyre very messy is she old enough for the layer pellets yet?

4. Mi Ranchito

Mi Ranchito Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2013
    San Antonio, Texas
    Add water to your Flock Raiser crumbles to a consistency of oatmeal and you will see that your ducks will eat it much better and best of all no mess and no waste! As for using layer pellets? I do not use them with my muscovies. The flock raiser has plenty of nutrition but I also allow them to free range and so they get their calcium needs from free ranging. I have not had any problems with their laying or egg quality. Peace!

5. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Loving this country life Premium Member

I agree on adding water, I make fermented feed for my flock which is warm water with ACV added and poured over the Flock Raiser and allowed to sit for 2 days of more. No waste and so good for the flock. I do put out Oyster shell for the layers.

6. Miss Lydia

I just love Naughty and he is living up to his name... I think I may have Naughty's cousins. LOL
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 12, 2013
  7. Dianne88

Dianne88 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2013
    Panhandle, FL
    Pic of Cinabon being photo bombed by Ninja, she's very sneaky![​IMG]

8. Miss Lydia

Cheeky is more like it. LOL very pretty coloring on Cinabon

9. rbaker0345

rbaker0345 Big Mamma Brahma

Funny story: I did a fecal flotation on my muscovies and I noticed capillaria, so I decided to deworm for three days with fenbendazole. Except, I decided to use the paste dewormer, comes in a syringe and you can give them each a pea sized portion. Have you ever tried catching 22 free-ranging muscovies who have a 1/4ac, 6ft deep pond to retreat to? The first day went okay, I got everybody dosed and only sustained minor lacerations from my drakes and those little three month old duckling toenails, I think they're sharper than my drakes toenails. By the third day, my husband and I finally managed to dose 3/4 of the flock and we were both criss-crossed with wounds and limping from strained backs.

I went ahead and ordered a pyrantel pellet that I can put into their mushy feed.

10. Mi Ranchito

Mi Ranchito Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2013
    San Antonio, Texas
    My Lucy hatched two ducklings this past Saturday. I only gave her three eggs, since this is her first hatch. These little cuties are already loving the water at two days old! Mother Lucy is a good mother, ever watchful of her babies while they swim around.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by