Muscovy keepers share your pics!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by keeperofthehearth, Feb 8, 2009.

1. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Loving this country life Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Mountains of Western N.C.
    muskuslove you have a beautiful place there do your scovy's ever get close to the road? I'd be worried about them going in the road, but I'm a worry wort.

2. rbaker0345

rbaker0345 Big Mamma Brahma

I live right on a busy road (US 70 Outer Banks) and the traffic works as a fence for me. It is so constant that the birds just don't bother going near it.

I had a friend give me a tufted khaki campbell and two cockerels for butchering in return for two scovy girls. I butchered him yesterday. Ugh what a smell and there was barely any meat. Why do people raise those kinds of ducks? How can they stand the smell or the constant noise? Guess my muscovies have spoiled me.

3. muskuslove

muskuslove Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2013
    Nederland, Den Haag
    Miss Lydia, the ducks are lazyyy... They don`t even bother going near the road. In the picture looks like he`s close to the road, but in reality there`s some distance between him and the road.
    What does concern me is this...

[​IMG]

Not all of them are on the leash....[​IMG]

4. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    That would be scary... Hopefully they can get to the water in plenty of time.

5. Alaskan

Alaskan The Frosted Flake

OK, my Muscovy Kuh Flecken has ducklings!

Last week, when we candled her eggs, she had 14 fertile and very healthy looking eggs.

This morning, three have hatched so far!

It is cold enough now that the waterers have ice on them in the mornings. She is in an 8x8 insulated chicken coop, behind a little partition for her nest. I put a baby waterer and a baby feeder inside the coop for her, so I am hoping she won't take the babies outside. The baby waterer in the coop hasn't frozen.

Do you'll think I should put a heat lamp in there? Maybe over the feeder and waterer area? (I am in general very anti-heat of any kind, but I have never so stupidly had babies so late in the year)

OK, so here are pictures, Kuh Flecken, she is a pied chocolate, but has light and dark chocolate areas on her, very pretty! See the two babies? She did tuck them back under her after I took the picture. So, don't worry, they didn't get too cold.

[​IMG]

A further away shot, here she looks black, but it is just because it is so dark. You can see that her nest area is just a piece of plywood I nailed to the wall. The unpainted wall behind her isn't insulated, I had planned on putting an exterior access nest box there. There is a poop shelf above her (2x8) and I think the lowered ceiling helps keep her warmer. Even though this is set up for chickens (two awesome 8x2 poop trays with perches, all insulated, etc. etc., the chickens got kicked into the uninsulated shed), the Muscovies get the nice coop all to themselves.

[​IMG]

Here is one of my other ducks, Pilz, I think she is lavender. I had trimmed all of their wings, but since they were molting, they have already grown back enough that she can fly up to the top of the fence. I don't know if you'll can tell, but that is the bay and then the mountain range behind her.
    [​IMG]

I can't tell you how pleased I am! And the colors of the babies should be awesome!
    The drake is a very light something, maybe silver. Kuh Flecken, the broody, is both light and dark chocolate. I have two other ducks that might have added to the eggs, Pilz, the gorgeous lavender shown above (at least, I think that is what she is, she has both very dilute black as well as some very dilute chocolate), and Kecks who is blue. All are pied.

6. insanity

insanity Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2013
    Northwest Wy
    Very pretty birds and congrats on the new babies.

7. mara1

mara1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 13, 2013
    cute alert[​IMG]

8. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    That's for sure look how adorable.. [​IMG]

9. rbaker0345

rbaker0345 Big Mamma Brahma

I love her name. It took me a little while of repeating her name in puzzlement before I realized it was kind of an onomotopeia thing like ker plop. kuh flecken! and I swear I'm not even smoking anything.[​IMG] At first I thought "hey, maybe its some sort of Norweigen/Innuit name" but then I got into the rhythm of it.

10. Alaskan

Alaskan The Frosted Flake

Actually, we named all of the ducks German names. Kuh is cow and flecken is spots. In Germany there is a chocolate bar that is marbled white and brown, and the name of the chocolate bar is Kuh Flecken, so that is her name. :D Pilz is mushroom, because she is mushroom colored, and Kecks is a cookie, we were thinking sort of a meringue cookie with a few chocolate chips, since she is mostly white with a few blue spots.

I love the way you thought it was a sound, that is very cool.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by