Muscovy keepers share your pics!

OK, I posted my serious questions in the "Attention Muscovy lovers" thread, but here are my color questions......

I HAVE, looked through a good number of pictures, but I just don't feel very confident at identifying by myself.

This is mama number 3, with her two half grown ducklings. The dark duckling is a male, the very light one is a female.

Same mama number 3, same half grown ducks, just a different shot

Female number 2 baby girl behind her and baby boy in front of her and left

Female number 1 on left with two year old drake in middle and head of female number 3 on right

All of them together....they look a little rough. #1, male, #3, baby male, #2, baby girl

The poor things had to be caught in a muddy pen which made them very muddy, then transported in dog crates, then I clipped the wings of the grown females, and they were released.

The drake has only pin feathers on his wings....hard molt? As in NOT A SINGLE full grown feather. I asked the lady I bought them from, she thought it was just a molt (no trauma that she knew of). The two little ones are also all pin feathers on the wings, but it is clearly because they are just babies.

All three girls looked like they were about to go through a molt, their feathers were way ratty, and there were a very few pin feathers, but I was still able to cut all flight feathers (as in I only saw maybe two pin feathers, and they were still very short, almost all flight feathers were full grown and very old).

So......can anyone tell me the colors?

Thanks!
Hi... and
welcome-byc.gif
Yep, it looks like your's are going through molt which makes it a bit difficult to judge the colors. Looks like your girls are carrying chocolate though. Any of your colors that carry chocolate will "fade" over time until molt which makes the colors look muddy as the year goes on until molt. #1 female is a nice lilac, #3 female looks to be black pied but carrying chocolate ....or maybe a very very dark chocolate since she has some faded chocolate feathers. Drake is probably blue though he has a lot of white & the blue isn't laced so could be self blue or silver. The juvenile drake is blue carrying chocolate it looks like. Maybe a few more pictures closer up?? ;)

OK, I posted my serious questions in the "Attention Muscovy lovers" thread, but here are my color questions......

I HAVE, looked through a good number of pictures, but I just don't feel very confident at identifying by myself.

This is mama number 3, with her two half grown ducklings. The dark duckling is a male, the very light one is a female.

Same mama number 3, same half grown ducks, just a different shot

Female number 2 baby girl behind her and baby boy in front of her and left

Female number 1 on left with two year old drake in middle and head of female number 3 on right

All of them together....they look a little rough. #1, male, #3, baby male, #2, baby girl

The poor things had to be caught in a muddy pen which made them very muddy, then transported in dog crates, then I clipped the wings of the grown females, and they were released.

The drake has only pin feathers on his wings....hard molt? As in NOT A SINGLE full grown feather. I asked the lady I bought them from, she thought it was just a molt (no trauma that she knew of). The two little ones are also all pin feathers on the wings, but it is clearly because they are just babies.

All three girls looked like they were about to go through a molt, their feathers were way ratty, and there were a very few pin feathers, but I was still able to cut all flight feathers (as in I only saw maybe two pin feathers, and they were still very short, almost all flight feathers were full grown and very old).

So......can anyone tell me the colors?

Thanks!
Oh yes.... what color are the legs/feet of your breeding drake??

Keperoffthehearth or Miss Lydia, can you tell me if this is molt? And if so, will it go back to normal? She was/is a black pied. Just like my drake. The both of them get wet too, when going into the water...

And my drake. It rained...

It looks so sad...

Keperoffthehearth or Miss Lydia, can you tell me if this is molt? And if so, will it go back to normal? She was/is a black pied. Just like my drake. The both of them get wet too, when going into the water...

And my drake. It rained...

It looks so sad...
I'm not used to seeing blacks fade so much (esp. the hen) before they molt....hmmmmm... but it is about that time for them to molt & their feathers do get mighty tattered AND waterlog easily right before so I expect they will look just fine once they molt out and have a brand new set of feathers. I notice my Scovies act "uncomfortable" ... well so do my chooks acutally...lol... right before they begin molting in ernest. It might not hurt to add a bit more protien in their diet by way of dog/kitty chow to help them w/the production of those new feathers depending on how much they are getting right now. Scovies seem to be able to handle a more protien rich diet than the mallard derived breeds.

I tried dog/Kitty chow, but they are just not that into it. But mealworms they love. Maybe a little upgrade in the mealworm tread? They are getting now special duck food (don`t know what`s the English word), grains, endive and a cup full of mealworms each day. The cup full of mealworms will be shared between 4 ducks and 3 chickens.
Also, they are not that fond of new stuff like pies and other treads...

Last edited:
I tried dog/Kitty chow, but they are just not that into it. But mealworms they love. Maybe a little upgrade in the mealworm tread? They are getting now special duck food (don`t know what`s the English word), grains, endive and a cup full of mealworms each day. The cup full of mealworms will be shared between 4 ducks and 3 chickens.
Also, they are not that fond of new stuff like pies and other treads...
Sounds good to me..... that should be enough for them.... though they might not think so....
lol.png
Have you ever tried thawed frozen peas??? ALL my ducks/chickens/geese LOVE peas! They go crazy over them & if I could only give one treat, peas ... fresh frozen & thawed... would be the one. ;)

How long will it take for my new Moscovy to be friendlier with me?

They are already a little better I think......
They should warm up pretty fast. Try giving them some treats every day at about the same time. I always recomment fresh frozen,thawed peas. Even if the first time they look at you like "what?" They will gobble them up soon enough and come running every time they see you. My girls will come right up to me, waggle their tails and jump up for peas! Also,... if you can dig up some worms & toss them their way getting them to come closer to you.... same w/any treat. :)

Back
Top Bottom