Muscovy keepers share your pics!

I know this isn't necessarily the place, but I'm looking for a muscovy hen to go in with my 2 Welsh. I can't have any more noise, and my drake needs some more company! ;-) Besides I have a need for a hinny or two. Anything local from Sarasota all the way to Montgomery, AL is possible for pick up. I'd prefer 10weeks+ and under a year but will consider any (muscovy, not crosses) hens.

THANKS!
What is a hinny?

A moulard or mule duck refers to the fact that it is from a Muscovy Drake and a mallard derived hen. A HInny then is the progeny of a muscovy hen under a mallard drake.

Hinnies can lay eggs, Mules do not. Non of them can reproduce.

I need a hinny because they can provide eggs for our family and make less noise than a chicken. I don't need more ducks as I am a suburbanite currently.

@Miss Lydia it's only day 5.... I don't really know where else I could put them in. I have an old dog kennel if that works?

So like take them from the mom?

If you are since your first time, i would only take about 2 to 4 because it can get very overwhelming if your not experienced and muscovies are so needy as babies :D Its so cute ! but there little peeping can drive a first timer crazy, so i would leave some for the mom

No im not gonna take them from the mom i'll let her raise them, im now up to 20 eggs

Miss Lydia it's only day 5.... I don't really know where else I could put them in. I have an old dog kennel if that works?
I have dog kennels just for that purpose, I have large and extra large and mediums. I set up one of my Scovys in my feed room in a large dog kennel since she didn't want her sister to be in the same stall sleeping with her, I moved as much of the bedding the eggs were laying on and then put extra in the kennel, placed the nest material and eggs inside the kennel waited til she came back inside then showed her where her eggs were she jumped into the keel just like that's where she started. Mind you not all ducks will do this but I have done this move thing many times with my girls and haven't had one leave the nest for good.

Last edited:
Yeah I might bring them outside for like ten minutes but I'm like a rabid dog to my surroundings I'm like DONT EVEN LOOK AT THEM!!!!!!!!!
lol same, especially with the geese, i'm like come near them uh you gonna get slapped, but like not literally because i secretly love our geese even if they're mean, but yeah i like my babies to get associated with the adults when they're little so they know wise who and s that the adults know the babies

Back
Top Bottom