Muscovy keepers share your pics!

Can anyone explain what the difference is between a lavender duck and a blue fawn duck.
With some photos as well maybe?
Thanks.

Not lavender, they are too brown.
My first thought is buff, but due to the blue hue at the tip of the tail and the feathers on the back I am going to say lilac (blue fawn). They should look dark, almost blue, when they molt and grow new feathers. And as they feathers age and get bleached in the sun they should look more light brown.
Does that sound about right?
Yes that is exactly right.

My last name is Leary (original, lol) and I grew up on a dairy farm. My very first email was learycow@ blah blah blah so it kind of stuck as a username for a few websites! haha
Interesting, thanks for explaining.
smile.png

These are lavenders. Lavender is self blue (basically, dilluted blue). One way to tell if it's a lavender is to breed to a black duck. If truely lavender, then all the offspring will be black.
The lavender color is very even and flat. There shouldn't be other colors present on the feathers.

This is a lilac, also known as blue fawn. These are a combination (genetically) of blue and chocolate. They look very similar to a blue when they just molt, but more like a chocolate when they are dull and ready to start a molt.

Hope this helps a little!

My precious Ripples. If anyone has any for sale or will be selling eggs please let me know. I am looking to add to my flock! I would be happy to buy or I can trade
I will have some chocolate ripple and split ripples after I test fertility. I live in TX though so I don't know how well the eggs would do all the way to Maine.

Okay now the weather is being unpredictable... It's been raining a lot, lately. I'm worried about my ducks sitting in the nest (it's covered, but they still get wet)

Could that, in any way, affect the eggs?
Would it be bad to move them somewhere else?

I know this isn't necessarily the place, but I'm looking for a muscovy hen to go in with my 2 Welsh. I can't have any more noise, and my drake needs some more company! ;-) Besides I have a need for a hinny or two. Anything local from Sarasota all the way to Montgomery, AL is possible for pick up. I'd prefer 10weeks+ and under a year but will consider any (muscovy, not crosses) hens.

THANKS!

Okay now the weather is being unpredictable... It's been raining a lot, lately. I'm worried about my ducks sitting in the nest (it's covered, but they still get wet)

Could that, in any way, affect the eggs?
Would it be bad to move them somewhere else?
Water can introduce bacteria into the eggs if the nest get really wet. I'd move broody an eggs inside where the eggs will be dry and all will be safe, letting a duck brood outside with out protection is asking for trouble. If you have a house where you can put her and eggs and keep her locke up for 24 hrs with food and water she might stay. how far along is she in her brooding?

Back
Top Bottom