Muscovy keepers share your pics!

You need to know what to look for but it's easier when there's multiple to compare. I can usually. ..about 98% of the time tell at hatch. The boys are so much bigger, then by week 2 its very obvious. ..granted there's the 2% that you are constantly wondering then it sure enough is a drake!!
wink.png
What do you look for when they are 1 week olds? I had a buyer here yesterday wanting girls and since I don't vent sex she decided to just take the smaller ones. Well... they hatched over a couple of days so that could be the size difference
idunno.gif

This was the babies at 6 weeks old. I had been so worried about my drake to duck ratio thinking that Wanda (small little bitty chocolate) was my only duck. But.. I have judged them based off size and tail length and I get no where. Now, I am starting to notice a few of their feet are much bigger than some of the others. Also, Most of my drakes(I think they are drakes) are already starting to get their caruncle. I freaked out yesterday!!! I have been letting all the babies out of their pen to roam around while we are in the backyard. they were out for a few hours and then everyone but Eugene made their way back into the pen. Eugene was right next to the flock, just on the other side. when I approached him to guide him back to the door of the pen he went berserk and started shoving his beak through the holes in the chicken wire of the pen. He finally got stuck and I was able to hole him while my husband gently pulled the chicken wire off his beak but now his beak looks like he got into a fight with a potato peeler... what do I do? he started bleeding a little right where his caruncle has started forming but he seems ok.

PLEASE HELP!

Oh and as of now, I "think" I have 4 for sure drakes, 4 for sure ducks, and 2 to be determined.

See what I mean? Other than the two little chocolates on the left.. they all look about the same size. Top right was actually solid dark brown as a ling. He was technically a chocolate. But the older he gets he looks just like the pied.

I think the blue with the grey tail is duck (Gertrude), the blue with the white tail is drake (Helga), and the chocolate in front is duck (Fernando).

I think this is my only chocolate drake, Carlos.

Eugene I am pretty sure is a drake.

Carlos is in the pond (drake) with Fernando (duck) in the back. Earl is the one with white on his chest and I am leaning towards duck.

This is Ronald, He is every but as big as the others but his feet seem smaller so I am leaning towards duck.

Thanks,
clip_image001.jpg

Last edited:
Does anyone know, can being white hide the canzie gene? My two year old wants to retain this drake this year, but I'm trying to weed out all my canzie ducks. I'm thinking maybe to do a test mating with the drake over solid hens to make my toddler happy, but that will put me back a year if he has it.

Does anyone know, can being white hide the canzie gene? My two year old wants to retain this drake this year, but I'm trying to weed out all my canzie ducks. I'm thinking maybe to do a test mating with the drake over solid hens to make my toddler happy, but that will put me back a year if he has it.
What is a "canzie duck"? I have never heard of it. Googled it and nothing came up.

Mandy

Back
Top Bottom